Hen yelling at me when I go near the nesting box

AnonPaperclip

Songster
5 Years
Apr 11, 2017
Chickens are weird, man.
Ok so, I understand that a hen will cluck (or even scream) at you when they're going broody and you're just trying to collect eggs. I get that, but one of my favs just laid this morning and when I went out to get it, she made this horrible sounding, loud sound that was like a really long cluck. She was in the run and in a spot below the nesting boxes, and she only stopped once I went away from that area.

1514904722740362277201.jpg

I didnt have my phone on me when this happened (though she followed me back to the spot she was in, so I could get a picture) , and as much as I've tried, I can't seem to make her do it again. Does anyone know what this means, though?

She put 2 and 2 together figuring you are the taker of her eggs and decided to try and keep you from doing so again. My game hens will adopt similar posture towards crows and other songbirds even before becoming broody. Not all do it.

You do know faverolles are crazy right? Especially when it comes to eggs. Mine do pretty much the same thing from the time they start laying until they walk completely away. And the egg song sounds less like a song and more like they've discovered a murder. :)
Chickens are weird, man.
Ok so, I understand that a hen will cluck (or even scream) at you when they're going broody and you're just trying to collect eggs. I get that, but one of my favs just laid this morning and when I went out to get it, she made this horrible sounding, loud sound that was like a really long cluck. She was in the run and in a spot below the nesting boxes, and she only stopped once I went away from that area.

View attachment 1224516
I didnt have my phone on me when this happened (though she followed me back to the spot she was in, so I could get a picture) , and as much as I've tried, I can't seem to make her do it again. Does anyone know what this means, though?

Chickens are weird, man.

View attachment 1224516
I have a silkie hen that calls me everything but a black dog when I collect her eggs

You do know faverolles are crazy right? Especially when it comes to eggs. Mine do pretty much the same thing from the time they start laying until they walk completely away. And the egg song sounds less like a song and more like they've discovered a murder. :)
Lol they are pretty weird, but this doesnt sound like the egg song at all. She would do it a lot during the day and only stop when something distracts them. But this sounds like genuine yelling, not a "buk buk buk BRAWK" but more like "BRAAA"

Birds are funny creatures. My OEGB pullet did this hilarious chorus the other day while laying when another girl took her favorite spot. So offended! It was hard not to laugh. :lau

https://instagram.com/p/BdS4jOUnrbh/
Thats hilarious and adorable! Not too long ago, both of my Faverolles were trying to nest, and apparently they don't know that the other nesting boxes were safe, so they both got in the same one at the same time and laid lol

Oh my gosh, this reminds me of Little Sister (called little sister because she was the little sister to Big Sister). Little Sister, despite being convinced she was a Jersey Giant, was most likely a mix of Black Star or something. And let me tell you she was a talker. She'd cackle at me every day, all day, and at night when I slipped in the coop to examine/treat/or just say hi. I think she talked in her sleep. Her voice was a crisp staccato that would curl the ear of a Catholic Nun. She was not mean, just bossy. She bossed her big sister. She bossed Stan the Man-she'd cackle him right out of the coop. (You guys know what I'm talking about.)

And when my hubby arrived to install the automatic door, she immediately stood front and center, looked him in the eye, and cackled indignantly. She then proceeded to follow and inspect every thing he did. I'd take her outside and she'd beat me back into the coop to cackle righteously like a noisy neighbor who wanted to know everything about everybody. I ended up holding her so my hubby could get the work done but that did not stop her from talking. Safely ensconced in my arms, she continued to talk so I cackled back at her. And while the hubby finished the job, her and I cackled like old friends.

Little Sister, the smallest hen in the flock with the biggest mouth. She truly was the Master of Her Domain.

Back
Top Bottom