Henk..chicken calculator question - chocolate outcomes

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hinkjc, Jun 16, 2009.

1. hinkjc

hinkjc Crowing

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I am playing around with your chicken calculator and several of my crosses are coming up with what looks like chocolate (called fawn/dun unicolor?).

Is this chocolate?

Female:
    EEWh CoCo db+db+ pg+pg+ ml+ml+ Cha+Cha+ Mhmh+ Didi+ Ig+Ig+ cb+cb+ Idi+ bl+bl+ Lav+Lav+ C+C+ Mo+mo b+- S- Choc+-

Male:
    EEWh CoCo db+db+ pg+pg+ ml+ml+ Cha+Cha+ Mhmh+ Didi+ Ig+Ig+ cb+cb+ Idi+ bl+bl+ Lav+Lav+ C+C+ Mo+mo b+b+ Ss+ Choc+Choc+

Also, can you help explain what khaki looks like? Is it really a blue color, like the picture on the calculator shows?

One more thing, when breeding the chocolates back to siblings, the result shows choc, khaki and black progeny. Why? Does it act similar to andalusian blue?

I probably have 50 more questions, but this is a start. lol Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Songster

Looks like those would come out chocolate coloured & heterozygous for mille fleur type genes.

3. hinkjc

hinkjc Crowing

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Thanks Krys. Here's another cross that looks like chocolate type outcomes. I find this very interesting that it doesn't seem so hard to produce them, but breeding true would be a challenge.

EEWh Coco+ db+db+ pg+pg+ ml+ml+ Cha+Cha+ Mhmh+ Didi+ Ig+Ig+ cb+cb+ Idi+ bl+bl+ Lav+Lav+ C+C+ Mo+Mo+ b+- S- Choc+-

EEWh Coco+ db+db+ pg+pg+ ml+ml+ Cha+Cha+ Mhmh+ Didi+ Ig+Ig+ cb+cb+ Idi+ bl+bl+ Lav+Lav+ C+C+ Mo+Mo+ b+b+ Ss+ Choc+Choc+

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I don't have enough time to digest all the genes right now, but dun does breed like andalusian blue. One copy is khaki, 2 is chocolate.

Sigi recently said that the chick down of the dun-based birds and the choc-based ones is nearly identical.

It would be nice to have real photos instead of graphics in the chicken calculator, but I imagine thta it would be a huge effort and take more computing time.

5. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Songster

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Quote:Other way around...1 is chocolate, 2 is khaki [​IMG]

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    You know, I knew that--comes from trying to post quickly without editing my post before hitting SUBMIT [​IMG]

Female:
    EEWh CoCo db+db+ pg+pg+ ml+ml+ Cha+Cha+ Mhmh+ Didi+ Ig+Ig+ cb+cb+ Idi+ bl+bl+ Lav+Lav+ C+C+ Mo+mo b+- S- Choc+-

Male:
    EEWh CoCo db+db+ pg+pg+ ml+ml+ Cha+Cha+ Mhmh+ Didi+ Ig+Ig+ cb+cb+ Idi+ bl+bl+ Lav+Lav+ C+C+ Mo+mo b+b+ Ss+ Choc+Choc+

This is genetic notation that lists the specific genes carries by each bird. For the two birds you listed, most are the same for both male and female:

EEWh one extend black gene, one wheaten gene
    CoCo two copies of columbian
    db+db+ two copies of not-dark-brown (aka blacktail or ginger)
    pg+pg+ two copies of not-pattern-gene
    ml+ml+ two copies of not-melanotic
    Cha+Cha+ two copies of not-charcoal
    Mhmh+ one copy of mahogany, one of not-mahogany
    Didi+ one copy of dilute, one of not-dilute
    Ig+Ig+ two copies of not-inhibitor of Gold
    cb+cb+ two copies of not-champaign blonde
    Idi+ one copy of dun, one copy of not-dominant white
    bl+bl+ two copies of not-blue
    Lav+Lav+ two copies of not-lavender
    C+C+ two copies of colour
    Mo+mo one copy of mottle, one of not-mottle

Here is where there are differences, and this is because these are sex-linked genes:
    b+- one copy of not-barred
    b+b+ two copies of not-barred

S- one copy of silver
    Ss+ one copy of silver, one copy of gold; this mix is called golden

Choc+-one copy of not-chocolate
    Choc+Choc+ two copies of not-chocolate​

7. Henk69

Henk69 Songster

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    Quote:Khaki or 2 doses of dun can range from almost white to a brownish lavender like tint, given enough melanizers.

see http://www.chickencolours.com/Brownies%20&%20Khakis.pdf

Yes
    , the inheritance resembles andalusian blue's.
    That's why a lot of people thought/think that it was a mix of red and blue.

8. ~SunSetsWest~

~SunSetsWest~ Songster

Jul 20, 2008
    Central, Fl.
    I have been playing with dun is Sumatras for several months now, the birds are now getting old enough to see some results.. I have a dark dun roo over a lighter dun and black hens, these are some of the dun and khaki babies starting to grow up.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. MelissaA

MelissaA Songster

Dec 7, 2009
    Gaston, OR
    Where can I find this Henk calculator? Thanks!

10. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: