An Autosexing question

jbenefi2

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 11, 2014
ERER co+co+ DbDb pg+pg+ ml+ml+ chacha MhMh di+di+ Ig+Ig+ cb+cb+ i+i+ bl+bl+ Lav+Lav+ C+C+ Mo+Mo+ b+- s+- Choc+-
Gender = Female, Ratio = 1/2 = 50%, minimum of animals to breed: 2
extended black patterned red incomplete quail?

ERER co+co+ DbDb pg+pg+ ml+ml+ chacha MhMh di+di+ Ig+Ig+ cb+cb+ i+i+ bl+bl+ Lav+Lav+ C+C+ Mo+Mo+ b+b+ s+s+ Choc+Choc+
Gender = Male, Ratio = 1/2 = 50%, minimum of animals to breed: 2
extended black patterned red columbian with less hackle markings

Would this gene pattern produce an autosexing breed? I was fooling around on the chicken calculator and accidentally produced the incomplete quail pattern in the female. It looked so good to me I decided to try and make a pairing that would let it stick permanently. I fooled around until I found one and this is it. But I noticed the males were basically all red and the females were mostly black. This pairing also keeps itself going indefinitely without the Db some pairings need.

So I guess my main questions are - would it be autosexing because of the vast color differences? And how could you attain this coloration in the first place?

The difference is about the Db gene here. It expresses better on males. The chick downs could be similar, so no autosexing.
The gene combination is not common, so there is an uncertainty about the resulting phenotype, indicated by the ? (... quail?)
Quail = columbian with (black) pattern on the back

Thank you! I just read up on the down color genetics and saw how that worked. Genetics is complicated stuff.

Any suggestions on a user friendly book on the subject? Maybe with a list of genes known in established breeds. Because here I was calculating on birchen genes with my golden laced wyandotte chicks when they're obviously eb/eb partridge brown (now that I know what I'm looking at with down color).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom