Henri has a boo boo

CSolis

Crossing the Road
May 17, 2020
Red Level, AL
Yesterday I noticed one of my cockerels (13 weeks old) limping but still chasing bugs or whatever.. Today he was in the still open baby house along with everyone else but was the last to dismount and come to get treats. He's still limping but it seems a bit worse than yesterday. I've checked his lower leg and toes, but there doesn't seem to be anything going on there. He's my 'buddy' and the 'runt' of the flock so I've moved him from the coop, and into a private yard of his own. I want to keep him as he's the only one of the flock that jumps on my lap for pets, and even falls asleep there. Today he didn't want to leave my lap, even extending his neck as far across my arm as possible as though to hang on as if in protest to being put back down. So, I toted him to the garden area (a small kitchen garden surrounded by the dog pen panels I previously used for 'Gator') where corn was growing until a huge downpour yesterday, set him up a small box (large dog crate upside down so rain doesn't get in) and covered the entire pen with bird netting so he doesn't try to escape, though he doesn't seem inclined to do so.

1) Will time alone help him heal whatever injury he has?
2) Will being removed from the 'flock' undo him even further?

Yes, it's a bit swollen but no scabs. More puffy and not solid at all. I notice his leg seems swollen as well and his legs seem much warmer than usual. He came hopping over to the gate when I took out some treats this morning. He's still eating.. Just hobbling from one place to another and laying down to peck at stuff.

Thanks for responding.

Wow! Could you explain what those herbs are supposed to do? Hopefully they clear up the infection, and your birdie will be back to normal soon!

I have long been a proponent of using herbs over 'antibiotic' drugs. I don't like the fact that your body builds up resistance to prescribed antibiotics, so I've resorted to TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine) and Herbs for most common problems. My dog (I know it's a chicken forum) has consistent ear problems. I'm not sure if it is food related (like a child with continuing ear infections due to dairy) or just his breed. So I've relied on a weekly course of echinacea twice daily (and since he's a 90 pounder he gets the same dose as I would) and it clears the infection/yeast/fungus issues that seem to come and go. Since it works for both myself (when I get the sniffles or signs of an oncoming cold) and for Gator, I decided to try it out on Henri. The warmness seems to come and go, depending on the time of day, which tells me his immune system is fighting something. Mind you, I'm not a doctor, but years of experience raising two children, horses, dogs, cats, you name it has taught me nature does an excellent job. If he were free roaming, he would seek out plants to aid him in his battle, just as a gelding I had went to a 'lighter stump' to gnaw in it after eating grains. He had sinus issues from something in the feed, and would clear it with the turpentine that was found in the lighter stump. Gator eats grass when his tummy is upset. Animals just seem to instinctively know what helps them.

I have long been a proponent of using herbs over 'antibiotic' drugs. I don't like the fact that your body builds up resistance to prescribed antibiotics, so I've resorted to TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine) and Herbs for most common problems. My dog (I know it's a chicken forum) has consistent ear problems. I'm not sure if it is food related (like a child with continuing ear infections due to dairy) or just his breed. So I've relied on a weekly course of echinacea twice daily (and since he's a 90 pounder he gets the same dose as I would) and it clears the infection/yeast/fungus issues that seem to come and go. Since it works for both myself (when I get the sniffles or signs of an oncoming cold) and for Gator, I decided to try it out on Henri. The warmness seems to come and go, depending on the time of day, which tells me his immune system is fighting something. Mind you, I'm not a doctor, but years of experience raising two children, horses, dogs, cats, you name it has taught me nature does an excellent job. If he were free roaming, he would seek out plants to aid him in his battle, just as a gelding I had went to a 'lighter stump' to gnaw in it after eating grains. He had sinus issues from something in the feed, and would clear it with the turpentine that was found in the lighter stump. Gator eats grass when his tummy is upset. Animals just seem to instinctively know what helps them.

Amen!!!

I tried growing echinacea this year in my garden with no luck, but I got my lavender and lemon balm with tons of essential oils, minerals, supplements etc. Planting elderberry bushes in my yard as soon as my order gets here! I agree, nature is amazing and divine and should be considered before pharmaceuticals, though I'm not against medicine or anything like that lol

I hated leaving my echinacea behind at the last place I lived, however I got some Burpee seeds this year and had great success in getting plants going. Remember they thrive in poor well drained sandy soil. So choose your growing medium carefully. I also notice they didn't re-emerge after winter months until the soil warmed up quite a bit. I discovered several elderberry patches on the new place, and I left them in place as I was clearing the privet, vines, brush and brambles from the property I bought. Great to see another one with nature in mind.

Back
Top Bottom