Henrico County Changing Ordinance

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances' started by lkross12, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Chelle'sChics

Chelle'sChics Chirping

Mar 3, 2018
    Richmond, VA
    Ha! Me too - they need to come in line with the City 15ft & Hanover 15ft. The 200ft is a current requirement based on being in an A1. (agriculture district) Yes, normally it is 400ft. Let me check and see if I still have the zoning code wording for you.

2. lavenderforluck

lavenderforluck Hatching

Jun 11, 2018
    Hi again,

Can you tell me---if we are zoned in A1 and there is a 200ft requirement, does this just mean that the chicken coop/run has to be 200 ft from any residence/building? I have been scouring the code book but have struggled to find exact language and definitions for this code requirement.

3. Chelle'sChics

Chelle'sChics Chirping

Mar 3, 2018
    Richmond, VA
    Hi:
    I am sorry to leave you hanging. I have not been able to find it either, perhaps the Board is working on it. (fingers crossed) I have learned that the Board is considering lessening the requirement to 50 ft for A1
    I am not sure but, I think you would have to check your deed or contact zoning to find out.

4. OsgiliathBurns

OsgiliathBurns Hatching

Apr 10, 2019
    Good afternoon, everyone. I just wanted to post an update to this thread since I'm also very interested in raising chickens in Henrico. I checked out the Planning department's website which has the proposed zoning code revisions, and they released a draft in November 2018 of version/module 1 containing the proposed changes.

They have included changes to the restrictions, but it would be subject to obtaining a Conditional Use Permit (CUP) from the county in many of the residential zones. It would also draw restrictions based on a combination of your property line and coop/run rather than the nearest domestic dwellings. I've included the screenshot below for your convenience, but it can be found in Article 4 on Page 68 of the full document.

Henrico Proposed Poultry Code.png

5. Chelle'sChics

Chelle'sChics Chirping

Mar 3, 2018
    Richmond, VA
    Thank you very much for posting this new info!

OsgiliathBurns likes this.
  6. OsgiliathBurns

OsgiliathBurns Hatching

Apr 10, 2019
    You're very welcome. I signed up for the email notifications on the project's website, and I received a very prompt email from a representative of the Planning department. They do not have any public hearings scheduled to discuss the proposed zoning changes, but he informed me that I would be notified when they were booked.

I would wager that this won't be done until 2020 based on there being two more iterations of this module, public hearings, finalized versions presented, and final approval by the Planning Commission.

7. Chelle'sChics

Chelle'sChics Chirping

Mar 3, 2018
    Richmond, VA
    I will look into receiving notifications as well. It is disappointing that even these changes do not look to be finalized until 2020. Folks more in the know that I were assured that changes would be in made in 2019 and they would be more in line with our neighbor jurisdictions. I would be willing to attend any public hearings on this matter. Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: