Henrico County Changing Ordinance

I know this is an old post but any updates on this?
Hello! I get the updates and it has not been finalized. It is in Module 2 in the timeline, so it still has to go through stages 3,4,5,6 before it is finalized. Not going quickly. Here is the website to check out the information:
http://zoningupdate.henrico.us/index.html#hometimeline

Definitely email the Zoning Division Manager to let them know that they need to allow Henrico residents to have the same rights as its neighboring communities. And if they do change the ordinance, they need to remove the requirement for Conditional Use Permit. No other surrounding county requires that. And the fee is $450 and that is ridiculous! And if you apply, they can still chose to deny the application for some reason. Here is his email:
Benjamin Blankinship
[email protected]

As of today, 400 ft requirements still current.

Sec. 24-10. - Distance requirements
" (a) Uses, buildings or premises for which compliance with the distance requirements in this subsection is stipulated in the following regulations shall be distant at least 400 feet from any lot in any residence district and 200 feet from any other lot occupied by a dwelling other than a farm dwelling or by any school, place of worship, or any institution for human care not located on the same lot with the said uses or buildings.

(b) Any private stable or enclosure for the keeping of not more than three horses and/or ponies for personal enjoyment and not as a business shall be distant at least 400 feet from any dwelling in any residence district and 200 feet from any other dwelling other than a farm dwelling or from any school, place of worship, or any institution for human care not located on the same lot with said uses or buildings. Any buildings or enclosures shall further meet the minimum side and rear yard requirements for other permitted uses in the district in which located; and provided further, that there shall be no more than one horse and/or pony permitted on the premises for each acre of enclosed land. (Code 1980, § 22-10; Code 1995, § 24-10) "
Reference - Chapter 24 - Zoning

Good afternoon, everyone. I just wanted to post an update to this thread since I'm also very interested in raising chickens in Henrico. I checked out the Planning department's website which has the proposed zoning code revisions, and they released a draft in November 2018 of version/module 1 containing the proposed changes.

They have included changes to the restrictions, but it would be subject to obtaining a Conditional Use Permit (CUP) from the county in many of the residential zones. It would also draw restrictions based on a combination of your property line and coop/run rather than the nearest domestic dwellings. I've included the screenshot below for your convenience, but it can be found in Article 4 on Page 68 of the full document.

View attachment 1733353
I don't even live anywhere near here and was on the thread after it popped up to just look, but do the people in charge of this know that chickens need 7-10 square feet each in the run? What is the point of allowing 6 chickens when they're only allowing for enough room to humanely house 3-4? I suppose you could fit more bantams?

The Henrico County Board of Supervisors adopted the newly revised Zoning and Subdivision Ordinances at last night's meeting. The distance requirements have been modified, but those of us zoned Residential will still have to apply and receive "permission" from the government via a Conditional Use Permit.

The following Poultry regulations will go into effect September 1, 2021

Poultry.jpg

Disappointing that they did not choose a chicken "formula", where the number of poultry was based on lot size, as they did with horses. Of course, Henrico County's identification of zones R0-R4 may have nothing to do with lot size, unlike the numerous counties where, for instance, A2, A5, A10 represent Agriculturally Zoned plots of minimum 2, 5, and 10 acre size (respectively).

Good luck with this - at least its trending in a somewhat positive direction.

Back
Top Bottom