Henry Houdini the pekin duck needs help

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by barreljump, Jan 14, 2015.

1. barreljump

barreljump Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2014
    Ok so I have never had ducks before I have a few chickens tho. So this duck was supposed to be my taxidermy project I thought he was already dead and everything and sitting in a freezer turns out he's alive and I just couldn't let anyone fill him so now he's a pet out with my four hens I do know the basics for ducks that they need to have enough water for doping there head under and that they eat insects and lettuce and bread but that bread isn't good for them but he came from a breeding pen with another male and hasn't had a lot of human interaction but I got him yesterday I took him out to the coop built a new box for him in the ground with fresh hay fed the chickens and gave them fresh water and the food and water dishes he can easily use so I left for the night today after school whent out to check on everyone threw them food scraps he wouldent touch it or the chicken feed I took him inside to take a bath (he was covered in piss from being transported) he played in the water I put frootloops in the bath for him to play with an eat he wouldent eat the although he did play with them I also gave him bread chunks he wouldent even touch them I wasn't really worried tell I took him out and he popped on the floor and the poop was nothing but water so now I don't know what to do I felt his neck to see if there was anything in his scoop but there was nothing if you have any idea what I should do or anything I sho know about having a duck please let me know

2. collingwood

collingwood Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't really know what this is! Is he eating anything at all?

3. tdd2

tdd2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2014
    SEPA, USA
    The watery poop is likely from not getting much food, but still drinking water.

He NEEDS to eat, and not bread/fruit loops/lettuce or other things with little to no nutritional value to him.

Ducks process food very quickly, he needs properly nutritious food "immediately".

You can feed him unmedicated chicken pellets/crumbles (not scratch grains), dry cat food, mashed up cooked eggs, and/or chopped greens (spinach/Chard/dandelion leaves/etc) - but not iceberg lettuce - again, no food value.

Try thawed, frozen peas or corn to get him to eat - not alot - maybe 20 PC's of either, just to get him interested in eating.

If you have a farm store/Tractor Supply type place near by, Poultry Nutri-drench is a liquid vitamin you can add to the food for additional vitamins to help out....

Hope that helps!

Good luck!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  4. barreljump

barreljump Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2014
    He has everything avalible to him that the chickens do chicken feed (crumble) water and food scraps from breakfast lunch and dinner and he's not touching anything the frootloops and bread was a last ditch effort

5. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    Mine have watery clear poop after they have pooped everything else out. Usually after baths or after I have been holding them for a while. Ducks get stressed and I think some vitamins will help right now. Keep offering food but keep on eye on him. Just an FYI a lone drake with your hens is going be very dangerous for your hens! It's great that he now has a good home though. He will need some company and a unbreakable mirror may help perk him up till then.

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Look into some poultry vitamins for his water, and some Poultry Nutri-Drench for nutrients and calories. Try different treats to tempt him.

Also, check his mouth if you can - a mouth injury will keep them from eating.

There is a thread on tube feeding. You may want to learn about that in case he needs it through the crisis. How is his body condition?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by