Hens all using 1 nest box.

Mr Clean Kansas

Chirping
Apr 6, 2019
I have 10 hens and 2 roosters in a 5 x 10 chicken coop. All 10 hens lay eggs only in 1 nest box. Every morning I let the girls out and they all go out to scratch around except 1 hen that goes to this nest box. Throughout the morning. The hens all take turns using this same box. They kind of hang around the coop door until it is their turn. After they have laid their egg, they are off to scratch and free range. By early afternoon there are 6 to 9 eggs all in the same box. There are 6 black copper marans, 3 speckled Sussex and 1 olive egger. The 2 roos are black copper marans. I have raised chickens for 45 years and never witnessed this type of behavior. Anyone else experienced this or have any ideas.

The most I've had at once were 5 Wyandottes, they never waited ... All 5 could be found in the "nest box". I had 2 but everyone wanted this one .... Have had 4 BO in it at once, they had 2 but all wanted this one ... Both times I gave up and removed the 2nd.

DSC03873.JPG
DSC04540.JPG

Yes, I have a pen with one Houdan hen, four Ameraucanas and one Easter egger. They all used to lay in the same box, even though I had two boxes in there. I took out the second box and gave it to another cage.
Then last May I was repairing the top of the cage, and accidentally left the Rubbermaid footstool in the cage. Now they ignore the box, and all lay under the footstool.
Hey, the footstool was cheaper, $1 at Goodwill.

Back
Top Bottom