1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hens and eggs (of lack thereof)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gracieracer, Dec 1, 2008.

1. gracieracer

gracieracer Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2008
    Indianapolis
    This is just odd. I have 2 OE bantams (18 mos old) and 3 Araucana (8 mos old) bantams and since the middle of October the group has laid 6 eggs total, laid two eggs at a time. I suspect the OEs were the layers since they are the oldest, but 6 eggs in 7 weeks?

Am I the only one who finds this strange?

Kathy

2. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Alot of people are going thru something similar. Due to the time of year and the molting process egg production tends to come to a screeching hault, maybe try adding extra light in their coop if you haven't already? 6 eggs in 7 weeks is pretty rough, i get at least 4 to 5 a day from 13 hens and it has been like that since october so i feel your pain lol. Don't worry they will be back in business as soon as they get over their molt [​IMG]

3. justhatchin

justhatchin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2008
    Galva, Kansas
    gracieracer- Do you free range. My bantams like to hide their eggs, I find them in the goat barn and in baskets of now dead flowers.

But yes it is partly this time of year.

[​IMG]

4. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    [​IMG] Everyones egg production is slowing down.

5. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    I get 3-4/day from 22 hens/pullets. Fortunately, it meets our needs. Hope yours do better, soon!

6. jbhill

jbhill New Egg

Dec 1, 2008
    Arma, KS
    Does anyone know how long this molting will take? We have the same situation. 20 layers (9+ months) and we are down to 6 to 12 eggs [​IMG] per day when it had been near 16-18:D.

We recently added a timed light for added daylight in the morning hours.

7. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    There are people here with more chickens and more experience with chickens than I have. Perhaps, it is possible for 8 month old chickens to go thru a molt. I just wouldn't have expected it.

My experience has been that they wouldn't molt the year they hatched - they molt in the Fall of the 2nd year.

Once they go into that molt, it takes them awhile to come out of it. One month, may be just about a minimum. Some birds molt really hard, others hardly show any sign that they are molting. There may even be an egg or 2 showing up during this time.

It seems like there may be 2 issues here - molting and decreasing hours of daylight. There may be other nutrition issues - insufficient protein, in particular, for the birds to produce an egg. But, at first blush it looks to me like folks are having problems with decreasing light and/or their older birds coming out of a molt. BTW - regrowing feathers is another good reason for adequate protein in the diet.

Steve

8. dnjwilson

dnjwilson New Egg

Mar 15, 2008
    I have 2 hens and 3 roosters (hens are barred rock and roosters are BR and rhode island reds). They are 7 mos old and I have yet to see an egg! I am feeding them the egg crumble feed and a small daily treat of 30% protein (cat food). Also they free range for most of the day in my garden but I haven't been able to find any eggs hidden ANYWHERE! Anyone know what the problem is and how I can help it. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by