Hens are getting super picky and only want my lunch and not the good quality tractor supply layer crumbles I get them HELP

Give them 2 weeks with just their feed. Leave it out for them to free feed. Once they start eating again, and they will, you can introduce a small number of hen treats, like sunflower seeds or mealworms. Offer treats late in the day to give them time to have their fill of feed.

And don't eat in front of them! They are worse than dogs and will beg for food. I have a large Wyandotte who jumps in my lap any time I eat a snack in front of her. Resist the urge to share your food. A diet comprised of mostly feed is the best thing for them.

My flock did something similar. One day they just stopped eating their layer feed. I soon discovered that my girls refused to eat pellets (even though that’s what they had been eating for weeks) so I had to start buying crumbles. I’ve tried mixing the two together but they just pick through and leave the pellets behind. They can be very particular about what they want.

Back
Top Bottom