hens are not laying AT ALL!!!! help

jennibear

Hatching
6 Years
Nov 11, 2013
i have about 12 hens and none are laying only one rooster in the pen.....yes the pen is plenty big...yes they have nesting places with plenty of shavings to lay in...they used to lay then went on strike i guess...dont know anything else to do....any suggestions.....

How old are they? Does it look like they are molting? Molting chickens often won't lay. What feed are you giving them? Another possiblity is that they aren't getting enough daylight (or light) each day. I'm not sure where you are, but here in the United States, daylight hours have dropped below fourteen hours of light a day (more like 11-12 hours a day). Chickens won't lay well, or sometimes at all, if daylight hours are below fourteen. Do they look healthy otherwise?

Sorry. I know it can be disconcerting but patience and a thorough process of eliminationn to discover possible cause(s). So many possibilities. i.e. the breed of chickens, new enironment, changes in diet or weather, illness or other stress related symptoms. Is it possible they are laying somewhere else if permitted to free range? If confined, could prey or rats, or even the chickens be eating the eggs. More than likely it's the change in seasonal weather with winter coming soon and chickens naturally lay less than more. How long have they been on strike? How old are the hens?

Same problems here, I have 7 hens and 1 rooster all under 2 years of age and I went from 5-6 eggs a day to 0-1. Last time I found a bunch out around the yard but now I have found none. I also have a hen who has taken to sleeping in the laying box and filling it with poo.
D.gif

I have 11 hens/2 roos...Yesterday I found one of the older girls (1.5 yrs old) dead:( Not a mark on her, I couldn't bring myself to do a necropsy so I buried her, she was fine Friday, Sat i checked them before I left for work, and she was little puffed up but didn't think to much about it..I'm thinking she might have been egg bound and I didn't realize it:(. Anyhow that leaves me with 10 hens..2 are molting big time/ 2 are semi molting/ 3 are to young to lay/

My RIR I 'know' is laying, the other two are laying..I am averaging 2-3 eggs per day right now, I'm attributing it to molting, and the change in time..It's light at 6am and dark by 5 pm here..
Diane

Back
Top Bottom