Hens are pecking each other's butts and dying. Help!!

chickenlover71

Hatching
May 26, 2016
I need help. My chickens are pecking at one of my hens' butt and she's bleeding. I don't know what to do. This is the sixth time one of my chickens is being pecked on. The others have died because of this. I'm down to 15 chickens and afraid it will keep decreasing for the next few months until they're all gone. Please help!!!

I need help. My chickens are pecking at one of my hens' butt and she's bleeding. I don't know what to do. This is the sixth time one of my chickens is being pecked on. The others have died because of this. I'm down to 15 chickens and afraid it will keep decreasing for the next few months until they're all gone. Please help!!!

Are their specific hens doing the pecking? How big is their coop/run? Do they free range? They could possibly be doing this out of boredom.

Last edited:
How big is the area that they're in? A reason they could be pecking each other is because they don't have enough space in their run/coop.

Is one chicken starting it? If one chickens starts it and the rest follow you need to isolate that trouble starter for a day or longer to bring her lower in the pecking order.

Apply some blue kote or honey mixed with a little blue food coloring and apply it to the area your hen is bleeding from. Either honey or blue kote will help the wound to heal and cover up the redness of the wound, chickens love to peck at anything red so covering the wound could help the situation a lot and could be the reason why the others join in and continuing to peck.

How big is the area that they're in? A reason they could be pecking each other is because they don't have enough space in their run/coop.

Is one chicken starting it? If one chickens starts it and the rest follow you need to isolate that trouble starter for a day or longer to bring her lower in the pecking order.

Apply some blue kote or honey mixed with a little blue food coloring and apply it to the area your hen is bleeding from. Either honey or blue kote will help the wound to heal and cover up the redness of the wound, chickens love to peck at anything red so covering the wound could help the situation a lot and could be the reason why the others join in and continuing to peck.
x2

Chickens sometimes get blood on their ass when they lay eggs, other chickens will peck at the colour until literally their intestines are trailing out behind them , the blood can then easily be wiped by one chicken onto another and all the chickens can start pecking each other. When you notice a chicken with blood on their ass you must catch the chicken and paste a thick tar on their wound. This tar stops the others chickens pecking that spot, and doubles as a healing antiseptic. Do not let it get out of hand or they will literally peck each other apart. Beautiful but dumb birds chickens. The tar is call Stockholm tar. Here's a link to one brand... you'll need to investigate within your own area to find it. Smells like lapsong soochong tea which Ive disliked ever since it was my job as a child to paint it on chickens asses. Blessings. https://gsequestrian.co.uk/products...f1gai5Xtpjeu_3oCkn0L8EVBvmsYIvNwaAkEGEALw_wcB

Back
Top Bottom