Hens are ready for their permanent house and we are behind schedule.

At this point the girls are still in the basement and I am still working on the chicken house. I now have all the wire pulled but am needing someone that is good with elect. to give it a look see as I am sure there is something I need to correct being that this is my first time putting in wire in a house. I ended up pulling 150 feet of wire.Thought that 50 feet would do but.... why not do it right. So, there will be an overhead light in the house, a overhead light in the covered run, 2 sockets inside the house, 1 exterior socket (for Christmas lights!!), and one exterior flood light.

And I have to decide on an attractive way to brace the windows open and to lock them down. Wood bracers like I am presently using aren't terrible but I'd like something better.

And I have to decide on an attractive way to brace the windows open and to lock them down. Wood bracers like I am presently using aren't terrible but I'd like something better. .
Your coop is looking amazing. I would live in there! Let us know if you figure out a solution for those windows. I have similar windowss, same issue. Just spent an hour in Lowe's asking for some sort of thing but everyone said it can't be done; that you need to buy a casement window with the track already on it. But I don't think that's true. I think I just need some sort of heavyweight friction hinge. Will keep looking.

At this point the girls are still in the basement and I am still working on the chicken house. I now have all the wire pulled but am needing someone that is good with elect. to give it a look see as I am sure there is something I need to correct being that this is my first time putting in wire in a house. I ended up pulling 150 feet of wire.Thought that 50 feet would do but.... why not do it right. So, there will be an overhead light in the house, a overhead light in the covered run, 2 sockets inside the house, 1 exterior socket (for Christmas lights!!), and one exterior flood light.

And I have to decide on an attractive way to brace the windows open and to lock them down. Wood bracers like I am presently using aren't terrible but I'd like something better.

Your coop is looking amazing. I would live in there!

Let us know if you figure out a solution for those windows. I have similar windowss, same issue. Just spent an hour in Lowe's asking for some sort of thing but everyone said it can't be done; that you need to buy a casement window with the track already on it. But I don't think that's true. I think I just need some sort of heavyweight friction hinge. Will keep looking.

I agree you will be happy you wired it in. I absolutely NEED the lighting in my coop for ME. I did not turn it on the other night when I went to close the pop doors and walked right into a huge spider web at freaking face level. NEVER going to not turn the light on again. Spider in that web was at least the size of a quarter. Now he/she is the size of a silver dollar. I mashed the daylights out of it.

Great thread.
The title hit home right away as we have 24 birds, all between 3 and 4 months in a covered 8'x12'x7' high pen.
Haven't started on the nesting area yet but being located in the desert Southwest, I see no rush in setting up a totally enclosed area as it would be really hard if not impossible to keep it cool.
Using a deep litter setup with a combination of cedar and pine which they seem to love.
There is an 18" that circulates air and on the hot dry days, there is a misting system that keeps the pen fairly cool.
Your girls are certainly going to love their new digs and we all know that a happy chicken is a healthy chicken.

Great thread.
The title hit home right away as we have 24 birds, all between 3 and 4 months in a covered 8'x12'x7' high pen.
Haven't started on the nesting area yet but being located in the desert Southwest, I see no rush in setting up a totally enclosed area as it would be really hard if not impossible to keep it cool.
Using a deep litter setup with a combination of cedar and pine which they seem to love.
There is an 18" that circulates air and on the hot dry days, there is a misting system that keeps the pen fairly cool.
Your girls are certainly going to love their new digs and we all know that a happy chicken is a healthy chicken.
Hi! Welcome! Time does seem to get away doesn't it!
gig.gif
And the heat...I'm at 103 for the rest of the week! We'd have roasted chicken in a fully enclosed coop.

When people hear about or see the misting system or when I tell them the fruit is for my birds, sometimes I get that sideways look but I pay no attention to it.
In october and for years ahead I will be smiling every time I here one of them cluck, chuck, coo or crow as I collect eggs.

When people hear about or see the misting system or when I tell them the fruit is for my birds, sometimes I get that sideways look but I pay no attention to it.
In october and for years ahead I will be smiling every time I here one of them cluck, chuck, coo or crow as I collect eggs.
Exactly. I actually drilled ventilation holes in the next boxes as well. My avatar is a Buff sitting on a block of ice! I see all the pictures of the thick trees, lush grasses and gardens, bugs to dig up... none of that here. We're in severe drought with big fines for watering. I can't even use a mister. Here's a thread with some great suggestions for our climate. Everything from feeding, housing, cooling etc. You might like it. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1005376/battling-extreme-desert-heat

Back
Top Bottom