1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hens arent laying need help

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jv3, Sep 6, 2008.

1. jv3

jv3 New Egg

Sep 6, 2008
    My hens are not wanting to lay. I had a snake get in the pen and kill some baby chicks, got rid of snake and cleaned out the house. Still not getting eggs it has been 3 months. Feeding like normal, took away scratch after winter was over but still feed chickens well even fed them out of the garden.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2008
  2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Hi jv3 and welcome to BYC.
    I don't want your first post to go unanswered, so please provide us with more information. How many hens and what is their age(s)? I assume you are feeding them layer feed, are you supplementing with oyster shell?

3. jv3

jv3 New Egg

Sep 6, 2008
    15 hens, 4 doms. 3yrs, 2 rir 1.5 yr. , 9 red stars 1.5 yr. Feeding laying pellets along with corn, along with oyster shell.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  4. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    Mine have really slowed down alot, and it's earlier than usual. I'm going to guess maybe a few things going on with yours,1)the snake may have upset them,but shouldn't have stopped them for ths long. Are you sure there is not another snake,eating eggs?
    2) Most hen go through a hard moult around 18 months old. My pen looks as though a feather pillow blew up. Hens usually don't lay during a moult.
    3) They may have internal parasites. I always take advantage of slow egg production and give them a good worming(since you have to discard eggs layed during th process).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by