Hens arent laying?

cluckers&quackers

Songster
11 Years
Aug 29, 2008
Vermont
I currently have 12 hens that I took from a friend in February. They are turning a year old this spring.

These hens were laying like crazy for my friend, they started laying in October, continued right through winter. They were laying when I took them.

They are eating layena layer crumbles which is what they were eating when they came to me. I got a couple of eggs the 1st couple of days of having them, Then nothing at all, and still nothing. Not only are they eating the same food, they are in the same coop they were in. We tore down the coop, and put it back together at our house.

I have had them since february 5th, and other than the couple of eggs when I first brought them home, I have gotten absolutely nothing out of them.

There are no signs of molting, parasites etc.

I have been adding flock raiser and cat food along with the layer feed after reading what others have said, this has not helped. They also get veggie scraps etc.

I am getting very frustrated, these are nice young birds and I am getting nothing out of them, what else can I do to get them to start laying again?

That happened to us as well. We got a couple of hens from a person and put them in our coop. They didn't lay for a good 5 months. We also had gotten a red leghorn about 7 months ago and it was laying when we got it, it laid for about 2 days and then quit. Then one day we had a white egg, and none of our other chickens lay white eggs. I'm guessing it will just be a matter of time.

Drop the flock raiser that's for fattening up meat birds and the cat food. I have read every book I can on raising chickens and none of them ever said anything about feeding them "cat food".
"FAT hens don't lay"!

Their main diet should consist of Layer, osyter shell grit and clean water. Anything else is extra and should not be over done. Even if they "free range" they still need a balanced diet. When you start noticeing something is off look to their diet first. Yes you can give them vitamins and ACV and other things but not on a "regular" basis.

Last edited:
Hi Cluckers!

A few things come to mind.....one thing is have you ever wormed them? How's their weight? Sometimes they need a good worming.
If they are cooped up alot, and not allowed to free range, they are exposed to more of their own waste, which also exposes them to more worms. All chickens have worms, but they could really be loaded with them.

Another thing is, do you provide grit for digestion of food, and crushed oyster shell for calcium? Alot of people forget about the grit, but if they are cooped up, they will need it, since they can't find it from Mother Nature.

Good luck!
Sharon:)

Back
Top Bottom