Hens Attacking each other? Self Mutilation? Help Please

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SeaAggieShelby15, Apr 26, 2018.

1. SeaAggieShelby15

SeaAggieShelby15 Chirping

Oct 24, 2017
    Galveston County, TX
    Two of my Delawares have been loosing tons of feathers and now one is either plucking her own feathers out of the other hens are attacking her. Usually my three Delawares are the top of the pecking order. Photos help. Need advice. Pictures are of two different hens.

Thank you,
    Shelby

Attached Files:

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Rolling Down The River

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Looks like it's molting. Did you run lights all winter?

3. SeaAggieShelby15

SeaAggieShelby15 Chirping

Oct 24, 2017
    Galveston County, TX
    No, we did not. They had one of tiny bulbs for home night lights in their coup but otherwise, it was dark. They one missing feathers from her skin is literally picking them out herself. I did some vitamins and electrolytes in their water but we feed them all organic feeds, cut up lettuce, squash, watermelon etc. So were just worried. Tonight we checked them both for lice and we didn' t see any and also checked their vents. Just lost.. Also I do not know what hens look or act like while molting.

4. Nyla

Nyla Crowing

Jan 3, 2017
    Northwest, Indiana
    Here is a link that may be helpful: LINK

5. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Rolling Down The River

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    How old are they? Did they molt last fall? Chickens will groom more when molting and it will appear as if they are plucking but loose feathers are falling out. Have you observed it actively tugging on the feathers to remove them? It takes some force to remove a feather not ready to come out.

A small nightlight may be enough to mess them up. Did you recently stop using it or is it still running?

6. Wolfefarmyard

Wolfefarmyard Songster

Aug 18, 2017
    Gansevoort, NY
    I agree looks like they're molting to me.

oldhenlikesdogs likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: