Hens being lethargic and eyes closed

Raptorsgocluck

Chirping
Apr 20, 2019
NC, USA
C387AFE1-43D8-4277-A3FC-BA1915A42BA1.jpeg
DDD900AB-F655-4989-9233-31BE843CAF63.jpeg
Yesterday one hen was being lethargic, today she is hold up in the nest box like she is laying an egg but no egg. Felt for a bound egg and couldn't feel anything. Now another hen is acting how the other one was yesterday. She is just sitting in the yard with her eyes closed and the other is doing the same but in the nest box. They are one year old wyandotte's.

That looks like the posture of a hen with a laying issue. What do you feed them? Do they have oyster shell available? Two coming down with it at the same time sounds more like something contagious, but I can’t ignore that body language. Do you know when they each laid their last egg? Are they pulsing their vents?

That looks like the posture of a hen with a laying issue. What do you feed them? Do they have oyster shell available? Two coming down with it at the same time sounds more like something contagious, but I can’t ignore that body language. Do you know when they each laid their last egg? Are they pulsing their vents?
I don't. I have 6 Colombian wyandotte's and I can't tell them apart or tell who laid what egg. The first set of picks and the second set are 2 different wyandotte's. The first posted picture is of the girl who started acting weird today and the second post is the one who was acting weird since yesterday. The one who is being held in the picture is pulsing her vent and has runny poo on her fuzz under her vent. No oyster shells, I feed back their eggs shells to them. Used to give them layer feed which has a good amount of calcium in it but had to stop recently because of young chicks in the flock.

I would dose the one pulsing her vent with calcium. By any chance do you have calcium citrate plus D3 (meant for humans)? Getting a pill into a chicken is not that hard. I can walk you through it, especially if they are used to being handled. Another option would be to crush (or empty) the capsule into some raw egg yolk.

You might also gently insert a gloved finger into the vent and see if you feel an egg. If it’s shell-less, it might be hard to tell. Those are difficult to pass, and the calcium might help her muscles contract. Are they drinking water ok?

I would dose the one pulsing her vent with calcium. By any chance do you have calcium citrate plus D3 (meant for humans)? Getting a pill into a chicken is not that hard. I can walk you through it, especially if they are used to being handled. Another option would be to crush (or empty) the capsule into some raw egg yolk.
I don't have any calcium. I can try putting my finger up her vent. I don't feel an egg when I feel around her abdomen. I can run to the store and get calcium. Are those things ok to do since the hens are all perched up for the night?

I don't know if they are pooping or not. I spend pretty much all day out with my chickens after I get off work but I have 20 hens and a roo. I have no idea who is pooping and what color it is. Especially with the wyandotte's since I can't tell em apart. I feel bad I can't keep track of stuff like that. I know it's important stuff

Back
Top Bottom