Hens bullying chicks what do i do?

What's your set up like (photos will help)? Ample space and ample clutter give chicks a better chance at getting away from adult bullying.

How long have the hens been able to see the chicks without access? "See but don't touch" isn't an instant process - it can take a week, it can take several weeks.

Do you have multiple feeders/food sources and/or waterers available? A lot more aggression happens around resources like food.

Do not introduce 1 by 1... the chicks stand a much better chance as a group, as they can scatter and run if the hens go after them.

What's your set up like (photos will help)? Ample space and ample clutter give chicks a better chance at getting away from adult bullying.

How long have the hens been able to see the chicks without access? "See but don't touch" isn't an instant process - it can take a week, it can take several weeks.

Do you have multiple feeders/food sources and/or waterers available? A lot more aggression happens around resources like food.

Do not introduce 1 by 1... the chicks stand a much better chance as a group, as they can scatter and run if the hens go after them.
i will take some photos. i ahve 2 waters and 1 feeder. i guess i should get more?

i will take some photos. i ahve 2 waters and 1 feeder. i guess i should get more?

2 may or may not be enough, you'll get a better idea if you watch their interactions if that's an issue. In the mornings when chickens are hungriest I have o1 feeder out, plus multiple smaller bowls of feed spread out to keep more dominant birds from hogging a bowl (3 bowls + 1 feeder, I have 7 chickens).

Looking forward to the photos.

2 may or may not be enough, you'll get a better idea if you watch their interactions if that's an issue. In the mornings when chickens are hungriest I have o1 feeder out, plus multiple smaller bowls of feed spread out to keep more dominant birds from hogging a bowl (3 bowls + 1 feeder, I have 7 chickens).

Sorry. got bussy. i will post them tonight

Attachments

• DSC_7243.JPG
    DSC_7243.JPG
    864.4 KB · Views: 9
  • DSC_7232.JPG
    DSC_7232.JPG
    807.8 KB · Views: 9
  • DSC_7235.JPG
    DSC_7235.JPG
    464.4 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC_7233.JPG
    DSC_7233.JPG
    608.4 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC_7234.JPG
    DSC_7234.JPG
    777.4 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC_7237.JPG
    DSC_7237.JPG
    618 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC_7238.JPG
    DSC_7238.JPG
    679.5 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC_7240.JPG
    DSC_7240.JPG
    393.3 KB · Views: 9
  • DSC_7241.JPG
    DSC_7241.JPG
    333.5 KB · Views: 10
It's a nice sized space. Is that a grove of trees inside the run (that's pretty cool as hiding spots)

I'd add more "junk" in the open areas. Doesn't have to be anything fancy or even permanent, but the more stuff there is the easier it'll be for chicks to take cover if a hen harasses them. I'd add more feeding areas too... definitely at least 1 more full sized feeder, and maybe some bowls scattered around in mornings.

Is that coop the chicks are in the only coop, or is that for "See but don't touch" purposes?

Back
Top Bottom