Hens bullying young cockerels

It seems like you have enough run space that you could temporarily close up the run and not allow any free ranging until the cockerels learn to stand up to the two bully hens. Assuming the run part is predator proof, the cockerels would be safe overnight on nights that they can’t get past the hens. Eventually the group dynamics will work themselves out. Especially with breeding season right around the corner. It won’t hurt them to be confined for a month or two.

My second choice that I would try would be to isolate the Beast in a wire dog crate for a few days. That should knock her down a peg or two in the pecking order, and hopefully when she is reintroduced she will be less of a bully. Since her sister is ready to step into her bully shoes, you might have to separate her into another dog crate as well. When it’s time, I would reintroduce them separately. One first and then a few days later the other. (If you isolate them together in the same crate or pen, then when they get back to the main flock, they are still the same bully two pack that they used to be.)

That is a lot of work, managing two different dog crates for a week or so, and moving birds around and monitoring each move’s effect, which is why I personally would just try my first idea instead.

As I type, a 3rd option comes to mind. It looks like you have enough room that you could scan Craigslist (or FB poultry groups) and buy a handful of mature adult hens, ideally from the same place. Throw them in and see if they don’t push the Beast out of top position. Then in the spring or summer when you are ready to integrate your juvenile chicks, resell any extra hens you don’t want on Craigslist.

Actually as I think about it, any option that involves buying more chickens ( ;) ) would be at the top of my list! :oops:

Thank you all for the suggestions.

I have an isolation box, which is currently at my sister's house. I think I'll try opening the mandoor first and see if they'll adjust. The cockerel that was raised here used to go in and out that way, since there's a narrow space between the hardware cloth door and the frame. Maybe he'll remember (And before you ask, there is a more secure outside door).

Since her sister is ready to step into her bully shoes, you might have to separate her into another dog crate as well.
Watching the dynamics over the last week, I think the real problem is that the two hens work together. At least as a temporary expedient, eliminating the other half of the team might be sufficient. When there's just one hen playing this game, both boys can maneuver and get into the coop relatively easily. Possibly long enough to establish new patterns and habits.

The coop is abt 10x10, the run 7x17. They leave through the run pop door to go forage, then from the run into an overhang that is about 20x30. From there they have my full property to range.
Is the run attached to the coop or separate, they have access to the coop, pop door through the run?

If so, call everyone in about 30minutes before it's time to come in. Throw some scratch in the run, they will learn quickly to come for a treat when you call. Broadcast just a small amount of scratch so everyone can have some. Close the run and let them all work it out about going into the coop.

Even if the hens keep the cockerels out of the coop, they will still be in the run where you can easily get them and put them in the coop.

I do not see why you would want to "punish" your Top Hen and the #1 when they are doing their jobs. They are keeping the cockerels in their place until those boys mature enough to earn some respect. At that age, it's very unlikely either one of them can take on a role of leading a group of mature hens.

Hens have their own pecking order, cockerels/rooster revolve around that.
Once you have a MATURE ROOSTER that becomes the leader and has the respect of the hens, then things settle down.

Let them work it out if no one is being harmed.

Last edited:
Coop and run are connected. I'm not trying to punish anyone, just to make sure the cockerels can sleep safe. Which they can't do if they're out in the snow huddling under a bush somewhere.

Coop and run are connected. I'm not trying to punish anyone, just to make sure the cockerels can sleep safe. Which they can't do if they're out in the snow huddling under a bush somewhere.
That's why you call everyone in before dusk and close the run door so they are at least all in the run section before dark.

I opened up the second door at about 3, but didn't get out there in time to see if it made a difference. Everyone was in the coop when I did make it out, no cockerel stragglers, so there's that much.

Back
Top Bottom