Hens bullying young cockerels

LaurenRitz

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Nov 7, 2022
Kansas
I know that some bullying is normal. No blood has been drawn so I'm not too concerned. There is food and water in various spots and they free range all day. Crops are full when they go to roost.

During the day there's plenty of space. But both cockerels are terrified to go into the coop at night. She waits right by the door and charges them if they try to enter. While her sister stands guard at the door to take on either of the boys that gets past the Beast.

Tonight I blocked the hens so they couldn't tag-team the boys, and waited until the boys got into the coop, then shut the pop door with the Beast outside.

I waited until the noise was mostly over, then let her in. She went to roost immediately with no fuss.

My concern is that in spite of the obvious bullying, I am interfering with the flock dynamics. I know the boys will eventually take their place. They're as big as the hens now at 10 and 12 weeks. But they have slept outside unprotected a few times because the Beast and her sister won't allow them in the coop. I can't continue to babysit and referee, but I also can't have the boys sleeping outside with dogs, raccoons, coyotes, etc., all wanting a bite of tasty chicken tenders.

First, should I be interfering at all? How else can I get the boys in the coop at night without interfering?

(On an amusing side note, the 12 week old was singing the egg song today while the Beast was laying her egg).

No blood has been drawn

Tonight I blocked the hens so they couldn't tag-team the boys, and waited until the boys got into the coop, then shut the pop door with the Beast outside.

My concern is that in spite of the obvious bullying, I am interfering with the flock dynamics. I know the boys will eventually take their place.
First, should I be interfering at all? How else can I get the boys in the coop at night without interfering?
Photos of your coop/run set up?

Yes. Imho, you are interfering. Let them work it out.

Rarely is a mature hen going to give cockerels that young any respect whatsoever. Mature hens will school cockerels on manners.

No blood is being drawn. Yes, the cockerels are probably making quite the scene, but they will eventually come into their own.

Do you only have the 2 hens? If so, do you plan on keeping both cockerels?

No, I have 5 hens. I'll be getting more chicks in the spring. The others are ignoring the boys unless discipline is necessary.. The normal squabbles over food and such, but nothing alarming.

Problem is that I can't have the boys sleeping outside but they can't get past the Beast and her sister so they run off and bed down somewhere else.

The coop is abt 10x10, the run 7x17. They leave through the run pop door to go forage, then from the run into an overhang that is about 20x30. From there they have my full property to range.

I'll get some more pictures today.
20230211_133026.jpg

they have slept outside unprotected a few times because the Beast and her sister won't allow them in the coop. I can't continue to babysit and referee, but I also can't have the boys sleeping outside with dogs, raccoons, coyotes, etc., all wanting a bite of tasty chicken tenders.
Can you just go out around dusk, put them into the coop, and shut the door? That would keep them safe from predators, while hopefully taking only a few minutes of your time each day.

I don't know what effect that will have on the pecking order issues, but at least the cockerels would be alive to see what happens next.

Can you just go out around dusk, put them into the coop, and shut the door? That would keep them safe from predators, while hopefully taking only a few minutes of your time each day.

I don't know what effect that will have on the pecking order issues, but at least the cockerels would be alive to see what happens next.
I was gonna say the same thing. I think that would be better. Wait until the girls go to bed themselves and then put the boys in.

I was gonna say the same thing. I think that would be better. Wait until the girls go to bed themselves and then put the boys in.
It may not even matter if the girls have gone to bed, given the size of the coop (10 x 10 feet). It sounds like the main problem is with the pop door: a small spot that the nasty hens can guard, and the boys can't get inside without going past it (unless a person puts them in.)

It may not even matter if the girls have gone to bed, given the size of the coop (10 x 10 feet). It sounds like the main problem is with the pop door: a small spot that the nasty hens can guard, and the boys can't get inside without going past it (unless a person puts them in.)
Oh good point. I bet the girls wouldn’t care once the boys were already on the roost. But they’ll likely be in bed at dusk anyway. But you’re right, it probably wouldn’t matter either way.

First point of attack. The door on the right leads into the coop, the door on the left into the run. The Beast and her sister wait there and drive away either of the boys that tries to approach.
20240119_071744.jpg

If one of them gets past her, the sister takes care of it. If one of them gets into the run, they start to defend the coop door, which is a smaller choke-point and easier to defend.
20230211_133026.jpg

The boys, naturally, do not appreciate being in a narrow gauntlet, so they head out to the overhang where they can at least run away.

Lather, rinse, repeat, until it's too dark and the girls head for bed, with the boys still outside the run.

20240119_071936.jpg

20240119_071929.jpg

Attachments

• 20240119_071827.jpg
    20240119_071827.jpg
    629.4 KB · Views: 6
I normally wait until the girls have gone to bed, but the boys sometimes run out into the dark rather than be herded into the coop. Sometimes I can get them into the run and close the door after them, which resolves the situation eventually. I just have to be right there when it happens or the Beast chases them out again.

I hesitate to open the man door into the coop for them because the girls see an opening and come out to explore. In the summer it will be open (there's a hardware cloth door inside) but that may be the best option.

I normally wait until the girls have gone to bed, but the boys sometimes run out into the dark rather than be herded into the coop. Sometimes I can get them into the run and close the door after them, which resolves the situation eventually. I just have to be right there when it happens or the Beast chases them out again.

I hesitate to open the man door into the coop for them because the girls see an opening and come out to explore. In the summer it will be open (there's a hardware cloth door inside) but that may be the best option.
Ah okay that makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom