Hens cleaning out nest boxes

Mauka

Songster
9 Years
Aug 28, 2014
Hawai'i
I just cleaned my hens 4 nest boxes and two eggs have been laid in them so far. I just went up to let them out and they destroyed the boxes! All of the straw is everywhere but the boxes!why did they do this??

They're just being chickens!! I put fresh straw in all boxes and they get in there, kick out the fresh all the way down to the wood floor - go figure!
idunno.gif
kinda like teenagers I suppose...

They're just being chickens!!  I put fresh straw in all boxes and they get in there, kick out the fresh all the way down to the wood floor - go figure!  :idunno   kinda like teenagers I suppose...
I'm dreading these so called 'teenagers'....I have a 2.5 yo and a 9 week old.

My chickens on the other hand need to cut it out!!!

If the old saying is true about your kids being worse than you were I'm SCREWED. My toddler is giving me a run for my money. Everyone that meets her tells me she's a terrible two year old on steroids. It's the sass. She is SO sassy.

My 9 week old however, she's an angel.

How high is the lip on your nest? Hens like to scratch around and rearrange the nesting material. If the lip is not high enough they will empty the nest box of all bedding, any fake eggs, and any real eggs in there.

How high is the lip on your nest? Hens like to scratch around and rearrange the nesting material. If the lip is not high enough they will empty the nest box of all bedding, any fake eggs, and any real eggs in there.
This may be the problem!! They are only 2.5-3 inches. My FIL made them for me and I wasn't very thrilled bc they are not what I wanted. Now I have a reason to redo them without hurting his feelers! Mahalo!!!

Back
Top Bottom