Hen's Comb is Turning White

SammyJoyMonte

Chirping
Sep 1, 2021
NJ
My Coop
My Coop
I noticed recently that my hen's comb has been whitening. They were getting to the end of their good supply so I originally thought it was just oyster shell powder, but days later it's still there, and now I'm starting to see some whitening on my other hen as well. Recently the second hen has also been pecking the first's comb to the point of bleeding, what I initially thought caused it, but I'm not sure now. I checked the first hen's diarrhea (which has been too liquidy too often) for any worms and couldn't find any, but can't bring them to a vet. What could be the cause and/or prevention of this? I'm really worried.
0123221251d.jpg
0123221245l.jpg

Attachments

• 0123221245g.jpg
    0123221245g.jpg
    457.6 KB · Views: 3
It's been below freezing almost every day this month.
My guess is that is what is happening. I would just make sure to have enough ventilation in the coop, no water or food in the coop, and make sure their bedding stays dry. It looks very mild and should heal quickly.

I have a leghorn with a very large flappy comb and hers looks about the same. We have been below 0 many times this month.

My guess is that is what is happening. I would just make sure to have enough ventilation in the coop, no water or food in the coop, and make sure their bedding stays dry. It looks very mild and should heal quickly.

I have a leghorn with a very large flappy comb and hers looks about the same. We have been below 0 many times this month.
Thank you so so much! This is probably a stupid question, but what would qualify as good ventilation? And currently I have the water and food underneath the hen house only, would having it there be okay or should I move it into the run extension we have?

Attachments

• JPEG_20220123_140607_6219844192980790876.jpg
    JPEG_20220123_140607_6219844192980790876.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
Thank you so so much! This is probably a stupid question, but what would qualify as good ventilation? And currently I have the water and food underneath the hen house only, would having it there be okay or should I move it into the run extension we have?
Do you have any open windows or vents on the coop? I don't see any ventilation in the picture.

food and water are fine as long as they are outside.

I had to install a few windows in my coop! If you don't have any windows, you can crack the door!

Also, if it's really cold out, you can wrap the side(s) of the run in plastic or put up some clear plastic panels. I did this on the north sides of my coop for the winter in order to keep the harsh winds off them! Even if it's above freezing, you still should factor in the wind chill! I forgot about this earlier in the year & one of my roosters (more of a yard bird, lol) got some frostbite on his comb. :(

I had to install a few windows in my coop! If you don't have any windows, you can crack the door!

Also, if it's really cold out, you can wrap the side(s) of the run in plastic or put up some clear plastic panels. I did this on the north sides of my coop for the winter in order to keep the harsh winds off them! Even if it's above freezing, you still should factor in the wind chill! I forgot about this earlier in the year & one of my roosters (more of a yard bird, lol) got some frostbite on his comb. :(
I had no idea that was needed! I thought that the cold air blowing in at night was bad for them? And can I only keep the door half open?

nd thank you so much! I didn't realize the wind could also give them it. My chicks love ice and try to eat anything plastic tho, so could this become an issue?

Do you have any open windows or vents on the coop? I don't see any ventilation in the picture.

food and water are fine as long as they are outside.
Thank you! And no, I only left the smallest crack open with the door at night and there are two small openings that air can enter through, although nothing severe. Is ventilation something chicks need at night and would I have to alter the structure of the current coop to fix this?

Attachments

• 0124221549.jpg
    0124221549.jpg
    329.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 0124221550.jpg
    0124221550.jpg
    438.1 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom