Hens drinking vegatable oil

Hi there,
Sorry for barging in...I was wondering how you give kelp to your chickens? I believe kelp has a lot of benefits.
Thanks
Marie
I get big bags of dried kelp and seaweed from an Asian market, shred it in the blender and sprinkle some in when I fill the feeders.

Thanks for taking the time to post about nutrition, I feel that is so much more than just throwing down some feed.
I was wondering if Chooks for life has dogs and what their feed is? There is so much conflicting information about our animals diets, I get very confused on what is good for them. I have 6 Yorkies, 8 pullets, 6 laying hens and 1 bantam polish rooster. I would like to nourish them, as Chooks said, and not just feed them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Marie

We would buy the grains either in bulk (cheaper obviously, and they often deliver) or in 25 kg bags at the local feed stores, produce shops, etc. About the corn, all I know is that it isn't sweet corn. Given the many issues with GM corn I will be growing my own in future.

I would feed them once a day, sometimes once every second day, depending on how much food they were finding for themselves. Their forage feed intake varied seasonally so in summer they'd often get fed every two days and it'd make dinner for one day and breakfast for another. In winter, every day. But obviously with a feed program like that you need either great vermin control or automatic feeders if you just leave it lying around.

If you feed grains and wet them first they will start to either sprout or ferment, depending on their ability to grow, and either method unlocks the greater proportions of nutrience which otherwise remains locked away and undigested. There are various methods of fermenting or sprouting grains but while it takes a bit longer than just throwing down dry grain, it will make them healthier and save you money. Best wishes.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom