1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hens Eating Eggs. Help!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by gillisjordan, Apr 15, 2015.

1. StellasChick

StellasChick New Egg

Aug 21, 2014
    Colorado
    You might also want to switch to just Oyster shell and not feed the crushed egg shells. Help get that taste away from them. I'm dealing with egg eating too, think I'm going to lay off the treats and make sure they're eating the layer rations (reg chicken feed).

1 person likes this.
  2. gillisjordan

gillisjordan Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2015
    Antigonish County, NS

Yes I stopped feeding crushed eggshell and am only feeding the feed and oyster shells. Seems to be doing the trick

3. StellasChick

StellasChick New Egg

Aug 21, 2014
    Colorado
    Lucky you! I'm still trying to figure out how to get mine to quit. They still usually manage to get about one a day.

4. gillisjordan

Mar 31, 2015
    Antigonish County, NS
    Hey there. You are doing good at only one a day. Mine stopped for a little while then started again. I am making roll away laying boxes. I built some temporary ones last night as well. I am losing a lot of eggs, only getting 5 or 6 which is about half. I have 13 hens and I was getting around a dozen a day. now they're eating them. I could pull my hair out somedays! haha

5. Thespoiledchicken

Thespoiledchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Long Island
    Buy some of those fake wooden eggs that look real and put them in the nest boxes after you have collected your eggs for the day. The girls will peck at them and get no results. Hopefully they will lose interest in the eggs after not getting anything out of them.

Make sure you collect eggs whenever possible so the real ones don't lay around and tempt them.

Good luck!

6. gillisjordan

Mar 31, 2015
    Antigonish County, NS
    Hey great idea I will try that

7. Clousic Chicks

Clousic Chicks Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2015
    Spokane, Washington
    We didn't start having the problem until one of our new layers laid an egg without a shell...I think that started the whole thing. We're not sure who it is but I have a suspicion. My husband made beautiful fake wooden eggs that are brown, like our hens' eggs. I had taken them out and put golf balls in, but I think I'm going to take out the golf balls and put the fake eggs back in. [​IMG]

8. chicks are life

chicks are life Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2016
    :)
    Some of my chickens will wait till night to lay and that's fine but...they don't go to the nesting boxes to lay they lay wall staying on the roosts so the egg falls and brecks which is a problem because THEY EAT IT.and latly there been really interested in the eggs that are out in the nesting boxes.please help thanks

9. junebuggena

junebuggena Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Normal for young layers. And broken eggs are fair game. Leave a few dummy eggs in the nest boxes. That way, they can explore them without breaking anything on accident.

10. chicks are life

chicks are life Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2016
    :)
    Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by