Hens Eating Eggs. Help!

gillisjordan

Chirping
Mar 31, 2015
Antigonish County, NS
Hey there,

I have noticed the last week that my hens are eating a few of their eggs. I have caught one particular hen a couple of times. I have tried putting soap in an eggshell and leaving it for them and they took one peck and wouldn't go near it. My flock get crushed up eggshells and oyster shells on a regular basis and lay very healthy eggs. We are just coming into good weather now to let them out into their run so could it be that they're just bored? I am hoping tomorrow that they are out in their run they will leave their eggs alone!

You might also want to switch to just Oyster shell and not feed the crushed egg shells. Help get that taste away from them. I'm dealing with egg eating too, think I'm going to lay off the treats and make sure they're eating the layer rations (reg chicken feed).

I got it specially for our duck who is about to start laying.but they all like it so everyone is getting it. I am thinking because they free range more now they dont eat as much feed. So they lay less or the other hens are hiding eggs somewhere. Which happened before.all the other hens know my little one is after their eggs.they truly dont like her . she is always alone but she seems to like it that way. She isnt on the bottom of the P.O. but shr is an outcast of sorts. She was hatched right after a power outage and both legs were turned inside. I fixed one leg but the other is still od shaped
One of the primary causes of egg eating is insufficient protein. Layer feed is not required for egg production. There is no magic ingredient in it. It's just regular feed with a whole lot more calcium. Too much calcium for any bird can be deadly. It's much safer for a mixed age/species flock to feed something without the added calcium and let the birds regulate their own intake with crushed oyster shell. Starter, grower, or flock raiser are better choices for free range flocks.

I mean I don't know its fine for younger hens but ducks I'm not 100 % sure it souyld be fine I would ask your tractor supply person to help you. Here's a picture of the correct one.

Thanks for the Reply. They eat a crumb mix from the country store here that is balanced specially for laying hens. We also try and give them fruits and veggies to add in to their diet

Thanks for the Reply. They eat a crumb mix from the country store here that is balanced specially for laying hens. We also try and give them fruits and veggies to add in to their diet

Give them some kibble and bits sized dry dog food. Make sure that it has beef or meat byproducts in it. A little Calf Manna every second day also does a chicken good. Fish byproducts or shrimp meal is also good. Too much however could give your eggs a fishy flavor.

Back
Top Bottom