Hens eating own Hello, I have an interesting problem, my chickens are starting to eat their owneggs

jnicholes

Free Ranging
7 Years
Feb 16, 2017
Dietrich, Idaho
Hello,

I have an interesting problem, my chickens are starting to eat their own eggs. I don’t know why they are doing that, but it has me a little worried. For one, is decreasing my egg yield. I don’t know if it’s healthy for the chickens also.

Can this problem be fixed? If so, how?

Any help will be appreciated,

Jared

to answer your questions...
Chickens love to eat their eggs and its good for them. But eating their own eggs does decrease how many eggs you eat so it is a problem. This problem most certainly can be fixed...
few questions
do they have enough calcium and protein in their diet?
do they have space to roam outside?
Does everyone get food? as in does every chicken have access to food
how many hens to how many nesting boxes?
Do you have enough space in your coop?
When I had this problem I used the fake eggs that I used when they didn't know where to lay. I put those in the nest and they tired of pecking at it and decided there was no use of pecking at any egg because none would open.

x2! If there's a diet problem, fix it. You might have a hen who's laying a very thin shelled easily broken egg, and they will eat any eggs that are already broken
Sometimes a bird becomes an egg eater; you will find eggs with holes in them, usually at one end. The offending bird will likely have yolk on her face, showing who it is.
Collect eggs often, try the ceramic eggs, blow a couple of eggs out and insert mustard or something; all methods to discourage this vice.
If you still have an egg eater, she needs to be gone! She will teach her flockmates how fun this is, not good.
Mary

Hello,
I have an interesting problem, my chickens are starting to eat their own eggs. I don’t know why they are doing that, but it has me a little worried. For one, is decreasing my egg yield. I don’t know if it’s healthy for the chickens also.
Can this problem be fixed? If so, how?
Any help will be appreciated,
Jared
First, need to find out why, so some info please:
-your flock size(numbers, ages, genders)?
-your coop(size in feet by feet with pics)?
-and what and how exactly you are feeding?

Are you finding just a wet mess or is the shell still there?
Is the shell thin or soft?

Fake eggs can help.
Mustard just make s different kind of mess.

Hello,

Here is the information. I have nine hens, they are golden sexlinks. They are all one year old. I am feeding them egg producer feed. This feed is high in protein according to the farm store I bought it from.

As for the eggs, the shells are there, as thick as a normal egg shell. They are severely cracked open and there is a goopy mess. I see the hens pecking inside the shells on occasion at the yolk. That is what makes me think it is the hens doing this.

I would say the coop is about 5‘ x 12‘. It’s hard to get a measurement now, because we had a really big snowstorm last night. Attaching a picture of the coop and the run.

FBC0B3D9-CC08-45C2-8160-7FF1628AC5CB.jpeg

Is this information helpful?

Jared

I am feeding them egg producer feed. This feed is high in protein according to the farm store I bought it from.
Should be a tag sewn into bottom of feed bag listing the percentages and ingredients.

Coop size looks about right, should be good space for 9 birds.

How long have they been doing this?
Gather often and leave fake eggs in nests.

Hello,

They started doing this about three days ago. Here are pictures of the eggs I found.

A1E45487-8E47-43CE-849B-DA26B7B87AE8.jpeg

Here are the numbers for the feed.

21% crude protein

1% lysing

.32% methionine

3% crude fat

4.5% crude fiber

3.45% calcium

0.8% phosphorus

0.3% salt

0.28% sodium

Attaching a picture.

0402EEBB-D549-4D12-8D8A-7B885D5D75AA.jpeg

I think I will try leaving fake eggs.

Jared

Hello,

It could be that, I will check today.

There is one idea that just popped into my mind that might be what the problem is. It has been below freezing at night and above freezing during the day. I think the freezing is cracking the eggs, and the thawing is making them crack more. With all these cracks, the hens might just peck them because they are broken. Could this be the problem?

Jared

Back
Top Bottom