Hens eating the Eggs

whitehorse8

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 8, 2012
Hillsdale, NY
My 1 year old hens have all of a sudden started eating their eggs. What can I do to stop this? It seems like as soon as I open the coop to collect the eggs, the hens run for the nesting boxes and start pecking at/eating the eggs. Some have already been eaten by the evidence left in the boxes. I'm at work all day, so I can't collect the eggs earlier in the day. I did try putting a few golf balls in each box, but it doesn't seem to be helping. ... Help!

Hmm. Tough one.I feed our extra eggs to the birds sometimes for fun. I crack them then throw them on ground. Our turkey sees an egg in my hand and tried to take it from me like a dog...

wish I had an answer. :(

You don't leave a pair of salt & pepper shakers in there for them by chance? (sorry bad joke)

You tried the hard fake egg with the golf balls. Did you try blown out eggs filled will something bad tasting? If that doesn't work its either roll out nest boxes or removing the guilty parties. Odd that they ran to the boxes when you came in.

I will have to try the blown egg with something bad tasting in them - any suggestions? Vinegar? My hens are all very friendly and they follow me around whenever I'm with them, so it doesn't strike me as too odd when they run in to the nesting boxes when I'm collecting eggs. Thanks for the suggestion!

Mustard is what is usually used. Liquid soap is another. Since a lot of keepers put Apple Cider vinegar (ACV) in the chickens water I don't expect that to work.

I'll try the mustard option, thanks! I don't want to eat her - I have enough meat chickens in my freezer to last the year already, lol.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom