Hens eye looks weird?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CluckYeah8908, Jan 20, 2017.

1. CluckYeah8908

CluckYeah8908 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2016
    Oklahoma
    My Buff Orpington,Peaches' eye looks a little weird. Is it infected? What should I do? Thanks. I provided pictures of both eyes. One looks normal.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    It does appear to be swollen. Any discharge? Bubbling? Have you tested her vision in that eye by holding a treat off to that side to see if she responds?

I would definitely find some antibiotic and steroid eye drops for that eye.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Tumors are sometimes found around the face and eyes, but the most common reason for swelling around an eye is sinusitis or conjunctivitis from some respiratory diseases. On occasion, sometimes a particle of dirt or a seed or something can get into the eye and cause swelling. Lastly a peck to the surrounding skin can cause swelling. How does the swelling feel, and as Azygous asked is there any discharge or foam in the eye? Do you have a vet that could see her?

4. CluckYeah8908

Jun 18, 2016
    Oklahoma
    No, I can't find any vets near me that help chickens. It's dry. Nothing is coming out of it. I'm thinking maybe she got dirt in her eye or maybe the rooster accidentally hit her in the eye. He was on her yesterday and when he got off she laid on the ground like she was dead for a while and that's unusual for her. She didn't come out of the house today and when I went to gather eggs she was roosting and I saw her eye.

5. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    If you have any friends, such as older people, who have undergone cataract surgery, ask them if they still have leftover antibiotic and steroid eye drops in their medicine cabinet. This is what I use for eye infections and sinus infections and they work splendidly. You don't need a vet.

Some feed stores carry an antibiotic eye ointment for horses and large animals. Ask around.

I'm guessing the rooster injured her eye while mating and an infection may be starting in it. Have you tested her vision as I suggested? It would be helpful to know if she's gone blind in that eye.

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Hopefully it is just an injury, but I would like to see what happens to her in the next week or two. I would use saline or lubricant eye drops, or the veterinary ointment or eye gel, but if you use leftover eye drops, be careful to check the ingredients since there may be drugs that dilate or that might be unnecessary or harmful. Most of us have lubricant eye drops, but don't use the ones "that get the red out" like Visine. Those constrict blood vessels and most ophthamologists do not use them. I have even used plain neosporin in one of my chicken's eye injuries and it helped. Good luck.

7. CluckYeah8908

Jun 18, 2016
    Oklahoma
    I'm not sure if she's completely blind in that eye but I know she can't see well. If I get my finger close she blinks sometimes but she doesn't respond a whole lot. I have some antibiotic ointment that we got from the vet for our cat that had an eye infection. Would that help?

8. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    By all means use the ointment. Make sure you get it right in the eye.

But be aware it could be an injury and it's resulted in permanent blindness. It happens. She will be fine, though. She'll adjust. If it's an infection, her sight may return to normal. Only time will tell.

9. CluckYeah8908

Jun 18, 2016
    Oklahoma
    She ended up passing away today...

10. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I am so sorry that you lost her. Did the swelling get larger? Do you think it was a tumor or an infection that killed her?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by