Hens fighting over 1 nesting box.

Knowing that I have enough nest boxes for my hens, I leave them alone to figure it out for themselves. They do have a favorite nest box, but those that don't want to wait can and will use another. However, mine are not drawing blood over it. If they were I'd block off their favorite box. It'll throw them off-balance and may reset the whole order of who gets to use which box.

lol.png
That reminds me of newborn kittens. They all fight over one nipple!

Quote:
I did the same thing. Once in awhile I'll have more than one in a box, and they still favor certain ones.
idunno.gif
hu.gif

Mine have a few boxes they prefer and boy do they pitch a fit when someone is using it. I've seen 3 all piled in one box, but they have yet to fight. When my broodies took over 2 common nest boxes the girls quickly adjusted and started laying elsewhere. Although my hens may vary their boxes from week to week, they are consistent on staying within the general area: those that lay in the coop rotate between the 5 boxes, those that lay up on the deck rotate between the 3 boxes there. It seems they like to play follow the leader and when they choose a different box, they all do; not just one of them. Go figure. As mentioned by Nyis, block of the favored one and let them disperse to the others; although they may all gravitate toward the same 'different' box. Good luck
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom