Hens fighting over "The Good Nest"

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bigreyhorse, Sep 21, 2009.

1. bigreyhorse

bigreyhorse Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    One of my RIRs made a nest on top of a dog cage that overlooks the whole coop, complete with sheets (for bedding) and a view.Another RIR moved into the nest and they fight over it every morning, the one that was there first will get her face pecked at until she moves, sometimes she can be stubborn and will get pecked at for a while . There are plenty of empty nesting spots, 5 spots to choose from at that time in the morning, why do they have to fight over THIS spot?
    If I take the bedding away she'll still lay there, she was laying on a cardboard surface up there before I gave her something to lay on.
    I'm sure fighting over other nests goes on all day, but why would this nest be so special?

2. Danigirl3

Danigirl3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Central Maine
    Well you yourself said it. Sheets and a view! What is there not to love.

3. bigreyhorse

bigreyhorse Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    [​IMG]
    I figured that out after I posted it, haha. I have another hen obsessed with it now [​IMG]

4. txredneckmedic

txredneckmedic Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    LOL...glad my hens arent the only weird ones. I put some hay down for them to use as nest matterial....I got one hen still laying next to the doghouse in a dirt nest

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I made a special on the floor nestbox for my special needs hen.
    She doesn't use it. The other hens fight over it. [​IMG]

6. koifarm

koifarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Hens don't have much of a brain unfortunately (or maybe it is fortunate) but popular theories say that if a hen is sitting in a spot, the other ones figure that if she knows it's a good spot then they might as well lay their eggs there as well.

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by