1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen's first eggs are very small

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gkeesling, Apr 30, 2009.

1. gkeesling

gkeesling Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Hagerstown, IN
    My Barr Rocks started laying about right on time (20-25 weeks). Their first eggs are very small. I expected this. But, I'm wondering how long it takes for them to start laying their normal eggs which should be in the large category. Can anyone enlighten me?

2. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    Well for a "large" egg it may take a few months.....but they'll get there. Good luck!

3. NuthatchKnollChickens

NuthatchKnollChickens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2008
    Ithaca, NY
    I got my first chickens last year (Buff Orpingtons and Speckled Sussex) and if I recall it took them a couple of months before they started laying larger eggs. I gave a box of my early eggs to my 86-year old neighbor who said they always called the little ones "pullet eggs". The girls have laid "extra large" for months now -- sometimes I can't close the lid on the egg carton!

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    My pullets have been laying for about going on 4 months. Their eggs are mostly medium with a few large and still occasional smalls. My Hens lay large and X-layge.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by