Hens flying over gate

gymangel812

Chirping
Feb 10, 2021
ohio
My 4 of my 9 chickens are flying over the gate and I can't figure out how to stop them. They have access to 1+ acre of free range land. The only breed to do it are the easter egger (i believe they're actually cream legbars). I thought putting the mesh fence above the gate making it uneven to perch on would prevent this but it didn't. Any suggestions?

20211002_161741.jpg

Remove the actual gate and just use the fencing. They can see the bars on the gate and estimate how to fly over it.

I only have 3 1/2 feet high wire fencing and my chickens don't attempt to fly over it and they love jumping and partially flying. It's only when there's a tree branch on the fence behind it that they fly over. I figured that out quickly.

My 4 of my 9 chickens are flying over the gate and I can't figure out how to stop them. They have access to 1+ acre of free range land. The only breed to do it are the easter egger (i believe they're actually cream legbars). I thought putting the mesh fence above the gate making it uneven to perch on would prevent this but it didn't. Any suggestions?

View attachment 2854641
You might try clipping their wing feathers into which they cannot fly higher if that would be possible. Some chickens are high flyers specially leghorns and I clipped some of mine and they got contained inside their coop.

Remove the actual gate and just use the fencing. They can see the bars on the gate and estimate how to fly over it.

I only have 3 1/2 feet high wire fencing and my chickens don't attempt to fly over it and they love jumping and partially flying. It's only when there's a tree branch on the fence behind it that they fly over. I figured that out quickly.
how would i get in the fenced area without a gate?

Maybe extend the fence/gate to make it taller? I had to do that for my goats. I got some taller 2x2s and attached them to the gate with metal clamps and put welded wire between them. My 5 ft gate is now a 6.5 ft gate. You might be able to do the same with less sturdy stuff - like the bird netting you have there.
This sounds to me to be the easiest option. Some simple pieces of wood like cheap tomato stakes would do the trick. It looks like you already have some of that netting/fencing.

Back
Top Bottom