hen's got her hackles up

conchoreb

In the Brooder
Jun 1, 2017
One of my hens has her hackles up and tail feathers spread most, if not all, of the time. At first I was amused and thought she was copying the rooster but it has persisted for awhile and since she seems to be on the nest longer than the others I've become concerned that something may be wrong. Any ideas?

Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

She is broody. She is telling you to BACK OFF, while I become a mother! LOL You can leave her to her duties or if she is not setting on fertile eggs, you can break her of being broody by stopping her from entering the nest boxes. I have found it's easier to let nature take it's course than it is to break them. Easier on the hen and yourself. If you do leave her alone with this, make sure she gets out of the nest box a few times a day for sustenance and water. Especially during the summer heat.

Good luck with your broody and welcome to our flock! :)

Yep, I'd say broody! I love letting broodies raise chicks. It is SO easy compared to having chicks in the house. If you choose to let her hatch eggs, make sure she is truly going to go the distance before putting fertile eggs under her. When it is their first time, I have found they tend to give up after only a few days. So wait maybe 2-3 days to make sure she is staying on the nest. Also, make sure you put the eggs you want hatched in all at the same time, or you will have a staggered hatch that won't end well. Enjoy!

I had a brood Blue Americana for sometime. Then she hatched a chick, and has been teaching it to eat chick feed and to drink. At night she will put it under her wings.
Isn't it the most precious thing when they sleep under her wings and peek their head out? It's hilarious when they get bigger and barely fit under her but still try!

Thanks everyone. That's surely what it is. Was afraid she may be egg bound as my flock of 5 layers has been laying one or two less than usual. Also, she was "fluffed up" all the time for over a week not just when she was on the nest. She's a RIR, bit over a year old and this is the first time she's been broody.

Are you going to give her eggs to sit on or try to break her?

Back
Top Bottom