Hens hatching dead chics? Roo in coop Help!!!

Mikey5755

Hatching
10 Years
Aug 15, 2009
California
Hello well after almost 18 months and two coops later I have finally came across something I need advise on,I have two hens and a rooster in one coop and run the two hens are sitting on fertile eggs ready to hatch any time now
My question is first is it ok for the roo to stay with them?
My second question what should I provide the hens if anything after they hatch,Hopefully I can watch a natural growing process,If not I am ready to put them under the light
Any advise would be greatly appreciated,
Thank You From Mike5755 A wife 3 rabbits 2 aracuna 2 red sex links 1 black silkie(orphaned to my first coop) A black ausulop,A coo coo Maran and A french Maran Roo to be king of the yard !
NOW TWO HOURS HAVE PASSED TWO HAVE HATCHED AND ARE DEAD NO SIGN OGF ANYTHING HARMING THEM ROO WALKING AROUND THEM WITHOUT ANY NOTICE OF THEM,STILL BORN CHICKENS?

Last edited:
Still born chickens? Pretty sure that's not possible. It requires effort on the chick's part to get out of the shell.

I have had hens that accidentally crushed a newly hatched chick before. It was pretty obvious what had happened. It was flat.
sad.png

If you are worried that the rooster is harming the babies, by all means, separate him away from them.

If the chick is dead in the shell, it won't hatch. Something had to have happened after they hatched themselves. I'd search these boards and see what it could be. Did the chicks absorb the yolk? Did they stand and walk, dry off, etc? I'd pull the roo out, just in case, and possibly seperate the two hens, they might harm or try to steal each other's babies.

Good luck, hoping for a healthy hatch!

As heartbreaking as it is...........I tell myself that if the chick died under the hen (most natural way to hatch) - there was something wrong with the chick and it was not ment to be. If you are thinking "stillborn", I am guessing the chick was still partially in the shell or still curled and wet/damp or unfluffy.

I do leave my roos/cockerels with the hens/chicks and have not had a roo harm a chick. I would worry more about a new mom picking/pecking a new hatch first.

eta
welcome-byc.gif
and I hope for a better hatch of the rest.

Last edited:
I had a broody hatch 4 chicks. She did get till the last 1 got pecked to death by a another hen and she almost killed the 3rd chick too. Luckly the mama was having a fit and I was able to save the 3rd chick. It might be possible that a hen killed them. The roo never touched them. I got rid (sold) the hen that killed the chicks,but she has not gone broody again.
Sorry for your loss.

Even the best hen's will lose a couple of chick's sometime's.I had a newbie silky sit several egg's this time.She hatched every egg minus 2 one died before hatching and she had left last egg almost fully hatched to take out the newbie's.I finished the one out in inc.It depend's on the hen basicaly.I had An OEGB hatch out 8 under a building. and yes she left one chick too and i saved it.I have let Many ofmy layer breed's and bantam's hatch many brood's over the year's.They probably hatched the better healthy fuffy looking chick's than I ever did in Inc.And had a better mortality rate.

Back
Top Bottom