Hens have stopped laying

TexasChicken12

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 14, 2014
My 2yr old hens have abruptly stopped laying after quite a few of them had already started laying for the year. We went from getting six eggs a day out of seven hens to absolutely nothing for two weeks. We do free range them, but we've left them locked up in the coop for four days during a cold spell and still no eggs.... Do you think that it could be due to stress? I've never seen anything bother them during the day, and they sleep inside a very predator proof coop at night, so I am at a loss. Thank you for your time!

Sudden weather changes will cause hens to stop laying for a bit, it normal this time of year. Most resume after it warms back up to what is normal for your area. It can take a week or two to get going again. So most halts last 3-4 weeks.

If your coop is dark that would make them stop laying. I have lights set on a time to give my chickens 14-16 hours of light a day.
locking them in side might have something to do with it to when it is cold and I lock my chickens up there laying decreases.

Sudden weather changes will cause hens to stop laying for a bit, it normal this time of year. Most resume after it warms back up to what is normal for your area. It can take a week or two to get going again. So most halts last 3-4 weeks.

That might be it. We have had some strange weather here lately. Maybe we'll get some more eggs soon. Thank you.

Last edited:
If your coop is dark that would make them stop laying. I have lights set on a time to give my chickens 14-16 hours of light a day.
locking them in side might have something to do with it to when it is cold and I lock my chickens up there laying decreases.

We haven't had them locked inside the coop without access to the run. They have stayed inside a lot voluntarily though, because of the wind. That might have had something to do with it. Thank you.

Thank you all very much! They have started back up again! I think it was a cold snap we had a few weeks ago. Thank you!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom