1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hens have stopped laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TexasChicken12, Jan 26, 2017.

1. TexasChicken12

TexasChicken12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2014
    My 2yr old hens have abruptly stopped laying after quite a few of them had already started laying for the year. We went from getting six eggs a day out of seven hens to absolutely nothing for two weeks. We do free range them, but we've left them locked up in the coop for four days during a cold spell and still no eggs.... Do you think that it could be due to stress? I've never seen anything bother them during the day, and they sleep inside a very predator proof coop at night, so I am at a loss. Thank you for your time!

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Sudden weather changes will cause hens to stop laying for a bit, it normal this time of year. Most resume after it warms back up to what is normal for your area. It can take a week or two to get going again. So most halts last 3-4 weeks.

3. baredrock101

baredrock101 Just Hatched

Jul 11, 2016
    If your coop is dark that would make them stop laying. I have lights set on a time to give my chickens 14-16 hours of light a day.
    locking them in side might have something to do with it to when it is cold and I lock my chickens up there laying decreases.

4. TexasChicken12

Sep 14, 2014

That might be it. We have had some strange weather here lately. Maybe we'll get some more eggs soon. Thank you.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  5. TexasChicken12

Sep 14, 2014

We haven't had them locked inside the coop without access to the run. They have stayed inside a lot voluntarily though, because of the wind. That might have had something to do with it. Thank you.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I had a few come back into lay after molt/winter break.... then slow way back down again.

7. TexasChicken12

Sep 14, 2014
    Thank you all very much! They have started back up again! I think it was a cold snap we had a few weeks ago. Thank you!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  8. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Unfortunately it happens after most cold snaps. Hopefully you won't have no more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by