Layers stopped laying

Michelob5

In the Brooder
Aug 6, 2023
I have a small flock of ten hens. Three of them are Novogen browns 15 weeks old. Four are Rhode Island Reds and are almost three years old. And finally, the last three are Americaunas one year old. So I have seven layers. They almost stopped laying completely during the heat blast, but now the temps are back down in the 80's and they still are not consistently laying. Before the heat wave in the hundreds, they would give me an average of five a day. Zero the last several days. Any clues about what is going on?

Up here in the north, it is a little early for molting. Not sure where the original poster is. However today - I thought one of my hens feathers were starting to look a little tatty.

High heat will interfere with laying. The older ones will take a bit longer to come back into laying.

I have a small flock of ten hens. Three of them are Novogen browns 15 weeks old. Four are Rhode Island Reds and are almost three years old. And finally, the last three are Americaunas one year old. So I have seven layers. They almost stopped laying completely during the heat blast, but now the temps are back down in the 80's and they still are not consistently laying. Before the heat wave in the hundreds, they would give me an average of five a day. Zero the last several days. Any clues about what is going on?

Could you have a snake? Even if you don't see it any predators will disrupt the laying for a few days. I maje rice with raisins or oatmeal and raisins aling with their usual feed, also are you giving them calcium? I use food grade diatomaceous earth, mix some in the rice or oatmeal.

Up here in the north, it is a little early for molting. Not sure where the original poster is. However today - I thought one of my hens feathers were starting to look a little tatty.

High heat will interfere with laying. The older ones will take a bit longer to come back into laying.
Hi. Thanks for the response. We are out in Idaho. It has been hot and, yes, I've seen some loose feathers thinking the girls had been fighting a little. Thanks for your response.

Back
Top Bottom