Hens in "Chicky Jail" **UPDATE**

WindyOaksYokes

Songster
12 Years
Jul 17, 2007
Central Virginia
I need your opinions. We recently put our hens in "chicky jail" because I need to teach them to lay in the nests and not the woods, under the house, in the den, in the sons bedroom, etc... We had them locked up all day with little gripe and let them out for a couple hours tonight before roost.

My questions are...
1) Is it okay to let them out for the couple hours at night before roost?
2) How many days do I keep them in for 2 or 3 days or longer?
3) Am I going to have to repeat this process in a month or so?

Today I recieved 11 eggs versus the 6 to 8 that I have been getting and it is surprising, I have no clue where they are hiding them... I have searched the property over and over and just cant find the stash. I have 41 hens; 30 of them are 22 weeks and 10 are 17 weeks. I do have a few of the 17 weeks laying, so they are locked up too.

Any helo/advice would be greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks....Tes

Last edited:
I haven't figured it out yet. I can keep them locked up for a week and when I let them out they go lay somewhere else. I haven't figured it out myself.

jackie

LOL... oh Jackie don't tell me that... otherwise I am going to have to keep them locked up for their natural little lives... DH is already threatening them!!! Well, we will see what happens... otherwise I guess I could install cameras all over the place. hmmm... not a bad idea lol. Honestly hun, I'm sorry its not working for you, have you tried leaving them locked in for longer during the day? That was my other option... but I have them laying from about 7 in the morning until about 4 in the afternoon. Anyways, good luck.

Cyn - got it, THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!
hugs.gif

Tes

Okay all, just wanted to give an update on my hens. Yesterday we collected 11 eggs, today we collected 12 eggs. I think we might want to leave them in for another day or two. They are starting to use the boxes they have not used at all before. So I feel if I give it 2 more days they should be "trained". We have gotten some very beautiful big eggs too. It's been nice. But still wondering where the others are hidden LOL. Oh well, I am sure something got them by now. I am not the meanie type and have tried to explain this to my girls but I want my eggs :mad:
lol.png

Some of my hens loved to hide there eggs in our wood pile. This is before we penned them. I came across it one day 20 eggs! I couldnt believe it!

About a month ago, we were letting our ladies free range.

I have 4 adult hens and 6 ladies who are growing up...and I was only getting one or 2 eggs in the box.

We have a few brush piles...we looked and looked...NOTHING.

One day, I was looking for Bright Eyes, one of my Australorps, when I heard Heidi say "hello!!!!" (she literally says hello) and I followed her and she pointed Bright Eyes out to me...DEEP in one of the brush piles...and when I put my hand under her, I felt eggs...MANY...

Once she got up, I returned to the nest...27...yes, TWENTY SEVEN eggs!

OH MY...27 eggs, that is alot! Well at least you found the stash. I have searched everywhere, even leaving our own property, jumping over the fence and searching the neighbors woods. But have found nothing. Oh well, the girls are doing well being locked up. Not giving me any problems. I let them out for about an hour or two at night before roost time. The roos are having a fit. They will circle the coop and when they find no way in they just walk around the yard or come up on the porch. But, when I walk outside and towards the coop to collect eggs, they are right on my heels. When I walk toward the house they look at me like you B*#%H. They are just not happy with me at all. But it is something I have to do if I want the eggs. I feel sorry for the girls though when I let them out at in the afternoon/night... the roos nail them as soon as they come out the door. All the polish are out though since I have been told they will not lay til next spring so I guess that is why the roos are not fighting amoungst themselves. I think the polish girls are keeping them in check lol.
So far today since 1:00 only 7 eggs. Guess I will just have to wait and see if the others lay today as well.

I agree in keeping them locked up for a few more days and only letting them out in the evenings to free range...you might have to do this quite a few more times til they get the hang of it if you are wanting eggs in the nest boxes on a regular basis to sell...and remember that a hen lays an hour or so later everyday and then has a day that she stops and then the cycle starts again....

Back
Top Bottom