Hens in the same nesting box

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Misterpigeon124, Oct 22, 2018.

1. Misterpigeon124

Misterpigeon124 Songster

Sep 7, 2018
    Manteca, CA
    I'm a bit new to raising chickens, so this may seem like a dumb question :) I have one hen that's laying and one that hasn't begun yet. For the past couple of days, neither has left the nesting box, and the non laying hen seems to be "protecting" the other hen. What's happening?

Attached Files:

2. My girls do the same thing. Kinda reminds me of how us woman all go to the bathroom together when in public! I think the other hen is just cheering the laying hen on. Pretty birds!

3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Making Coffee

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    How old are they? They sound broody. The one looks like a Cochin? Which is definitely a broody breed.

4. Forgot to say, as long as the watching pullet lets the layer out of the nesting box to eat and stuff, its no biggie!

5. BGcoop

BGcoop Songster

Aug 5, 2018
    Ha! Cute picture. I’m new to chickens too so i’ve no idea, but today I saw two of my girls in the same box and when the first one laid her egg the second one stole it right out from under her and sat on it until she was done laying hers. I think it really confused the first chicken because she then continued to sit in the box for a while when normally she would leave.(No, the first chicken is not broody because as soon as she was done with her own laying she was out of there)

6. Misterpigeon124

Misterpigeon124 Songster

Sep 7, 2018
    Manteca, CA
    They're both cochins! Not sure the exact age, but they're under a year old

Melky and ButtonquailGirl14 like this.
  7. ButtonquailGirl14

ButtonquailGirl14 Free Ranging

Jul 13, 2017
    Northport WA
    I think they are doing a bad job at co-brooding:lol:

tweetzone86, Melky, WhiteWyan and 2 others like this.
  8. Not quite sure what's happening, but I would guess it may have something to do with the new-to-laying thing. Chickens have their quirks especially when they begin to lay.

9. llombardo

llombardo Crowing

Mar 11, 2018
    Illinois
    I have 6 girls, 3 are laying. There is always a group in there together when one is laying and sometimes even the rooster stays with them too.

When my barred rock was laying her first egg, my boy was right there with her the whole time.

image.jpg

Melky and ButtonquailGirl14 like this.
  10. llombardo

llombardo Crowing

Mar 11, 2018
    Illinois
    And the three that are laying always lay their eggs in the same nest box. I'm waiting to see where the other three lay their eggs, whenever that may happen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: