Hens keep emptying the nesting boxes.

HoosierEd

Chirping
8 Years
Feb 13, 2015
Help! My new hens keep emptying all of the straw from the nesting boxes. They do it within a few hours after I fill with new material. Then I end up with broken eggs, and a few times I caught them eating the broken eggs. Has anyone else had this problem? If so what was your solution.

How old are your hens?
Could you put some foam or something in the bottom, so even if the other bedding gets kicked out, the eggs still have protection?
Maybe try fine grass hay instead of straw?
I know how tiresome it is!

Agree that a higher lip in front helps, but for me the difference maker is adding additional padding at bottom of the nest, so even if the hens push nesting material around there's always cushion on bottom.

My free nest pads are empty feed bags with a sheet or two of bubble wrap inside, folded and snugly shoved into the bottom of the nest box (see middle box):

coop3.jpg

Agree that a higher lip in front helps, but for me the difference maker is adding additional padding at bottom of the nest, so even if the hens push nesting material around there's always cushion on bottom.

My free nest pads are empty feed bags with a sheet or two of bubble wrap inside, folded and snugly shoved into the bottom of the nest box (see middle box):

View attachment 3438527
So smart!

Back
Top Bottom