Hens kicking straw out of nest boxes, something better to use?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 4urbanchicks, Oct 2, 2010.

1. 4urbanchicks

4urbanchicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2010
    I have two 5 1/2 month old hens and one 8 month old hen, none of which are laying, but we have been putting straw in their nest boxes with fake eggs to entice them and all they do is kick the straw out of boxes on a daily basis. Is the some other material that would be better to use? Any advice? They have shavings in the rest of the coop.

Karey

2. sunflowerenvy

sunflowerenvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    south/west tn
    i would put in a higher lip on them.i used pine shaving in mine and they kick them out too. i add one handful of pine shaving in each box a.week i add about 5 handful in the begining.
    laura

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I agree. I had the same propblem until I put a higher lip on it. I've used wood shavings, straw, and long grass clippings (Grass that I let get about 8" tall before I cut it). With a higher lip, about 5", they all work. With a lower lip, none work.

4. moondog425

moondog425 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    tn
    Mine kick out whatever I put in their nesting boxes and lay on the wood floor of the boxes, so i use whatever I can get cheapest or free.[​IMG]

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:OMG! The Ridge is back online. I was starting to think I need to be writing his eulogy. Betcha he's been off spoiling that new granddaughter of his. That could be a full-time occupation.

To get back OT, I agree with the others. I use hay in my nestboxes, always have. I pack it in real tight and the nestboxes are actually covered kitty litter pans. Never had a problem.

6. S*T*A*R

S*T*A*R Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2010
    My chickens do the exact same thing! Well actually.... only one of my chickens do that. Still, it is a major waste of straw! [​IMG]

7. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Yeah, they like to get in the nest boxes and scratch around--once they are laying it pretty much stops. I have a 4 inch lip on my boxes and they still kick some straw out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by