Hens laying eggs in wrong place

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LauraN, May 19, 2011.

1. LauraN

LauraN Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2008
    SW Houston
    We have 2 chicken tractors (3 bantam hens and a bantam rooster + 9 standard hens and a bantam rooster) and both groups of chickens have been laying in the coops but not in the boxes. I think they started this after we gave them new shavings (same brand) and took the old (3 mos ago). Also, one standard hen has been broody and taking up one box but there are 2 others. They'd rather make nests all over the place. The bantams chose one corner and I can reach those eggs. The standard eggs are hard to get to with our vicious rooster in there. How do we get the chickens to start laying their eggs in the nesting boxes again?
    Thanks,
    Laura

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Do you have fake eggs in the nest boxes?

3. Nurs4kids

Nurs4kids Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2011
    God's Country
    Golf balls in the nest will do the trick. Had same problem last week and three golf balls later, my problem was fixed within 24 hours.

4. motoclown

motoclown Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2010
    New Castle, PA
    I use two plastic eggs in each nest box, works great.
    [​IMG]

5. LauraN

LauraN Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2008
    SW Houston
    I have only one in the big coop. I've been meaning to get some more. In the mean time I'll try golf balls! It's just strange that mostly 2 yo chickens would suddenly start laying all over the coop.
    Thanks!
    Laura

6. QCFChicks

QCFChicks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2011
    Quote:+1 I had the same exact problem but with a new coop took them a day or so but finally figured it out

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by