Hens laying fertilized eggs, but not sitting on them

hollycs

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 4, 2013
Dallas Texas
I have noticed that the eggs from my buffs have all been fertilized when I crack them. I have still been collecting the eggs every day though because none of the hens seem to be sitting on them. They are out of the coop all day. Should I leave the eggs alone, and if so for how long? They are laying 3 to 4 a day and they ALL lay in the same place (not their nesting boxes which my dear husband worked so hard on :( ) so they tend to stack up fast. I am new to the chicken world so I really have no idea what to do in this situation. We would like to hatch baby chicks, but I don't want to have to deal with an incubator. On a side note, they are 8 months old if that has any bearing on the subject ;) Any advice would be appreciated.

I have noticed that the eggs from my buffs have all been fertilized when I crack them. I have still been collecting the eggs every day though because none of the hens seem to be sitting on them. They are out of the coop all day. Should I leave the eggs alone, and if so for how long? They are laying 3 to 4 a day and they ALL lay in the same place (not their nesting boxes which my dear husband worked so hard on :( ) so they tend to stack up fast. I am new to the chicken world so I really have no idea what to do in this situation. We would like to hatch baby chicks, but I don't want to have to deal with an incubator. On a side note, they are 8 months old if that has any bearing on the subject ;) Any advice would be appreciated.

Mine laid for 6 months and then when they turned a year old 2 became broody. I agree with Fred though, it just happens,..... or Not.....
Also keep collecting the eggs and eating them. Your hens are pretty young still and your Buffs are similar to our Jersey Giants (slower maturing Heritage not Production breeds)...Just keep them on your kitchen counter (they will stay fresh and cool)-- and once you notice a hen setting (for at least 2 or 3 days and not getting off the nest) -- mark 10-12 eggs and slide them under her (or just mark the ones she is sitting on)...
You use eggs that have been sitting on your counter/ or even from the fridge that are up to 14 days old-- I wouldnt use eggs older than a week personally, but it can be done....

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom