1. chicken-keeper

chicken-keeper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    UK
    Hi folks, i have now 11 golden comets (hybrid)

The weather has been bad for the last month here, and the hens legs have always been rough,

They get cleaned out around every 3 weeks and the next box every week, and i scrape the perches every day, i have noticed on the hens feet the scales are peeling up, and on one or two of the hens legs they dont have scales and they are just red without scales on them, they dont seem to be limping but the one with red feet seems to be moving gingerly ! Its hard to tell due to it being so wet and they have alot of mud on there feet most of the time?

im just checking to see wether this is normal or not?

Thanks guys ! [​IMG]

Just to let you know laying is at rock bottom, but this is normal for them due to the daylight hours ! It happened last year !!

2. tulie13

tulie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    NW Florida
    If there is redness there that is not normally there, that sounds like something "wrong". You mentioned that the weather had been bad, and they had been walking in a lot of mud - they may have a fungal infection on their legs like athlete's foot. Or it might be an insect like mites. First order of business, can you get them cleaner and drier to see if they recover? Can you post pics of the feet/legs/scales?

3. kayri

kayri Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2007
    RI
    I'm no expert on this, but I've heard people talking about scaly leg mites with the symptoms that you are describing. Try searching on that to see what you get. Good luck. Kay

4. chicken-keeper

chicken-keeper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    UK
    Tomorrow i am going to keep them in the hut, them let them out and wipe each of there feets down and take a closer look, should i just wipe some vasaline on there feet?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by