Hen's neck falling to one side

Smccau3

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 4, 2012
1) What type of bird, age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others?) 10 week old Barred Plymouth Rock pullet, she seems to be the same weight as the rest (though she does seem to be the smallest)
2) What is the behavior, exactly. She is holding her head strange. It seems like she can't (or won't) lift her head up normally. She holds her head close to her body (it almost looks like her neck is curved) and often turns her head backwards and lays down as if to fall asleep. She has not been hanging out with the other girls, which is unusual. I fed her watermelon today, and she only was able to peck off tiny chunks, when the other chicks got big chunks. She also almost seemed to not be able to find it unless I held it up to her beak, and even then, sometimes she would miss it (like she couldn't see it). It has gotten progressively worse. Today, her head and neck were much further over to the side.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? About 1 month. It seems to be getting worse.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other signs of trauma. Not that I can see.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. My dog nipped at her when I was bringing her outside. I was unable to tell if he got her at all, though if he did, it would have been her wing area. We also found a piece of wood that had fallen in the brooder...not sure if it hit her.
7) What has the bird been eating or drinking, if at all. She has been eating and drinking the same food and water as the other girls. I have seen her both eat and drink multiple times. Again, not sure how much she is actually getting when she eats or drinks.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Normal
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? None
10) What is your intent as far as treatment? I will be treating her myself.
11) If you have the picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. No picture
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use She is in the coop with an attached run outside. We are using sand as the bedding.

Back
Top Bottom