Hen's nostrils are wearing away.........

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Country4ever, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Country4ever

Country4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2007
    My 4 remaining hens are very old.........10 years 8 months. One of them (an easter egger) has white around the tops of her nostrils. I took a better look today, and it looks like the beak substance is wearing away, around both nostrils. I haven't seen anyone picking on her. She doesn't have any drainage and is acting fine (other than she's living with a bad limp). Any ideas what this might be?
    Thanks.

2. Country4ever

Oct 26, 2007
    anyone?

I've found only a few articles about this. Seems like its either a fungus or a mite. One person had it in their 8 year old chicken. Maybe its just what happens when they get really old? My other 3 don't have it.
    Any info would be appreciated.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Favus is a common fungus in chickens and is treated with miconazole, lotrimin, and other antifungal creams. I haven't seen anything about it affecting nostrils, but if you post a picture, you may get more replies.

4. Country4ever

Oct 26, 2007
    Thanks Eggcessive.

It would be hard to get a pic of her for now. Do you think I could just use human antifungal cream? Have you ever heard of mites causing this?
    Thanks again.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I've never heard of the mites doing this, but fungal infections are rather common. They look white, ray, or yellow like powder. Human antifungal creams are fine to use--just apply it, and clear the nostrils with a Q-tip. This is a picture off the web of favus: [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by