hens not consistant

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by arhoads, Nov 10, 2009.

1. arhoads

arhoads New Egg

Nov 10, 2009
    My hens just started laying last week. fri I got 1 egg, sat. 4, sun 1, mon 2 so far today none. I have 7 RIR that should be laying, 4 Buff orph. that should be laying 1 I know usually lays every day. their not molting so whats the deal???

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    They're newly laying pullets, right? Don't expect any of them to lay more than twice a week for a long time. Never expect a hen to lay more often than four times a week, you'll be happier that way.

3. aussieheelr

aussieheelr Chillin' With My Peeps

It could be because of the shorter days. There are some threads about adding aditional light durring the fall and winter. I believe i had read that they need 12 hours of light to be their most productive. You might need to add light in the beginning of your day before the sun comes up to help them going if you want.
    Personally I'm only adding the heat lamp to keep the water from freezing and let them have a bit of a break if they need it.

4. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

yep- layers that start in fall find it harder to become consistent. They need 14 hours of light so giving them a little extra for 3 hours or so in the morning can help.

5. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    Yes it take a couple of mos. for them to really pick it up, so about feb or mar they'll be spittin' out eggs left and right.

catdaddy

6. Ms~Silkie~Girl

Ms~Silkie~Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    New York STATE
    When they start they dont lay very consistently, mine are starting to now after a couple months of laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by