Hens not laying as much??

MamaFox78

Songster
Aug 9, 2022
Colorado Rocky Mountains
I'm not sure what happened! I've got a mixed flock of 14 hens & 1 roo - my laying girls are Brahmas, Buff Orpingtons, Easter Eggers, a Leghorn, RIR, Barred Rock, Silkie and Salmon Faverolle. Gone broody at the moment are one of my Buffies and my bantam Ameraucana, so they're out of the laying loop.

I used to get around 12 eggs a day before my broody girls started setting... suddenly I'm down to 3-6. No idea why, nothing had changed except I built the broody box and whitewashed the coop... could the disturbance in their coop cause them to stop laying as much? I finished over a week ago, so I'm not sure that's it. 🤔🤷‍♀️

I used to get around 12 eggs a day before my broody girls started setting... suddenly I'm down to 3-6. No idea why, nothing had changed except I built the broody box and whitewashed the coop... could the disturbance in their coop cause them to stop laying as much? I finished over a week ago, so I'm not sure that's it.
The changes could be the cause, could be hot temps, could just be a normal slow down after the spring surge. I assume the broodies are not taking up the regular nests?
How old are these birds?
Do they free range?

The changes could be the cause, could be hot temps, could just be a normal slow down after the spring surge. I assume the broodies are not taking up the regular nests?
How old are these birds?
Do they free range?
Hmm might be just a slow down... most of the girls are 1 year old, 4 of them are older (part of a rescue flock, unsure of age). We really haven't had much heat, only a couple days we've gotten up to 80. It's been unusually stormy this spring/ summer in the Rockies. 😝

The broodies are also 1 year olds, and they're in their own enclosure now. I think it's a pretty darn nice setup, they seemed happy to have their own space when I moved them. 😊

I usually let the rest of the flock free range unless we're not around to chase off coyotes, in which case they're safely in the coop & yard.

They've been on Scratch & Peck organic layer feed for quite a while, and get kitchen veggie scraps or sometimes a little organic scratch for treats. The eggs I've been getting seem perfectly healthy and nice, I just don't know why they've slowed down so much!

Edit: pics to show my setup
20230704_132924.jpg

Attachments

• 20230505_101802.jpg
    20230505_101802.jpg
    770.4 KB · Views: 1
I usually let the rest of the flock free range unless we're not around to chase off coyotes, in which case they're safely in the coop & yard.
I would confine them to the coop and yard(enclosed run ...or?) for a week or so.

Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop/run for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

I would confine them to the coop and yard(enclosed run ...or?) for a week or so.

Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop/run for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.
Yes, I've been keeping them in the coop/run more lately and it's been helping... but still only got 6 eggs yesterday. They had always been good about laying in the nesting boxes even while free ranging... except for Taco, who likes to lay in weird places. I found 20+ blue eggs in the coop rafters and another 12+ in the goat barn!🙄😂 But the other girls love their nesting boxes, which is why I'm wondering what the heck happened. 😅

Back
Top Bottom