Hens not laying as usual

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Keithk, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Keithk

Keithk New Egg

Dec 30, 2009
    Hi, We live in Wisconsin, with our 11 ladies. They have been averaging 10 eggs a day until recently. Now only 5 a day. I have two heat lamps, heated waterer, have increased carbs for cold weather, we feed a natural egg mash for feed, and grow alfapha sprouts for their "greens". The temp in the coop never goes below 20 degrees. These hens are only 8 months old, so does anyone have an idea why the decrease in production? I know shorter days and sun can cause this, but I keep the lamps on 14+ hours a day. Keith

2. Peep'n'Stuff

Peep'n'Stuff Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2008
    Colorado
    Hi there, usually at this time of year when production falls off and if the girls are losing feathers then they are going through their molting season. It'll take a few weeks until their feathers grow back in before they start laying better.

3. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    Ours are ALL pretty much on strike.

4. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I agree, I've seen a reduction from my girls also. Although, I live in a pretty warm climate. I'm sure they will pick up soon enough. [​IMG] from S. Florida. Glad you joined us!

5. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    [​IMG] from Alaska

Heat Lamps are not the same as light.
    Most heat lamps are red, and do not stimulate the hens to lay.
    they need 14-16 hours of white or Full spectrum light to lay.

Red heat lamps work for keeping them warm.

Thanks for Joining us.

6. Keithk

Keithk New Egg

Dec 30, 2009
    Thank you for the info. I do use red heating lamps because I read somewhere that a red light helped prevent pecking abuse. Since they are now all adults, I will try the full spectrum light. Always something new to learn about these fascinating creatures! Keith

7. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    A big Texas size [​IMG] [​IMG]

... and Happy New Year!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by