Hens not laying? Help please.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Brookeee2013, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Brookeee2013

Brookeee2013 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2012
    Ringgold, Ga
    My Coop
    Okay, so I have one rooster (Cooper), and two hens (Cheetah and Nugget). They're all bantams. I have had my rooster for about 2 months and he his 5-6 months old. The hens were spring 2012 chicks. I got them from the same place about a month ago. Well, they're not laying. At all. And I really need some fertilized eggs so I can incubate them for an agriculture project. All of them get along. My rooster especially likes the silkie hen. But no eggs? Are there signs I should be looking for? or is there anything I can do to speed up this process?

2. mistydbowen

mistydbowen Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2012
    I was just coming here to ask the same question, I look forward to seeing if you get any answers. My chickens are 5 months old (assorted breeds, not bantam) and still not a single egg.

3. Brookeee2013

Brookeee2013 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2012
    Ringgold, Ga
    My Coop
    i just really hope theyre not sick or something!

4. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    The hens probably just slow to mature. I know silkies can take up to a year to start laying. You can try putting a light on in the coop to give them 12-14 hours of light a day. Feed the well and hope.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by